B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

CAN BUS for center display

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Default CAN BUS for center display

Hello guys. I've had trouble getting my Alpine Head Unit to working with my steering wheel controls and it seems Alpine doesn't support writing info to the center display unit.

I recently purchased an Bluetooth ODB-II module and started thinking ... ODB-II comes across the CAN BUS, right? Theoretically, I could write anything to the center display, if I knew the CAN codes and I could probably do it with the ODB-II Bluetooth module.

Am I sorely mistaken? Anyone done this? I would appreciate any help. If sufficiently motivated, I could at probably get the Torque Android application to push notifications into the center display and maybe some other goodness.

(p.s. in the back of my mind, I really want to build a custom double-din android based touch screen, with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Handle-free phone, Skype, and, of course integrated ODB-II, all that is stopping me is time, money and the decision on which single board computer to use --- oh, and how to get actual RADIO, and SiriusXM integrated. It would use the hard-wired CAN bus).

Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by blackt1ger
Hello guys. I've had trouble getting my Alpine Head Unit to working with my steering wheel controls and it seems Alpine doesn't support writing info to the center display unit.

I recently purchased an Bluetooth ODB-II module and started thinking ... ODB-II comes across the CAN BUS, right? Theoretically, I could write anything to the center display, if I knew the CAN codes and I could probably do it with the ODB-II Bluetooth module.

Am I sorely mistaken? Anyone done this? I would appreciate any help. If sufficiently motivated, I could at probably get the Torque Android application to push notifications into the center display and maybe some other goodness.

(p.s. in the back of my mind, I really want to build a custom double-din android based touch screen, with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Handle-free phone, Skype, and, of course integrated ODB-II, all that is stopping me is time, money and the decision on which single board computer to use --- oh, and how to get actual RADIO, and SiriusXM integrated. It would use the hard-wired CAN bus).
not to bust your ***** or anything but this has been done... those "ebay" dvd/nav units use android and some are canbus capable. but i like the idea you have of going open source and to integrate wifi and the use of skype.. i think ras-pi boards are more powerful than arduino..

InDashNet - Android Online Car In-dash System | Indiegogo

Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

No. I've seen them, well actually I took a good look at Ca-Fi (Ca-Fi Infotainment | Android) . The use of Wi-Fi is key, as a) GPS units can get live traffic, b) you can get Wi-Fi in many parking lots, etc, and c) set your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. I also want to mount small CCD video sensor on the visor for Skype. The real problem comes in that many "pre-built" arm cpu boards don't support CAN. The "arm cpu" that does support CAN is "industrial grade", more expensive and not typically used for hobby boards. These are "finished" boards. I'm looking more along the line of a DIY system, off-the-shelf hardware and open source code. This would allow unlimited modifications. Oh - and they DON'T support CAN, they use the same type of Bluetooth ODB-II system that you can already buy. (I have two Ras-Pi model b boards, a Netduino Plus 2, and some misc FPGA boards - none of which are really powerful enough). I was hoping for WANDBOARD Dual with the FAIRY carrier board.

But, to stay on topic a bit, I can confirm that with a bit of twiddling I can get an ELM327ODB-II unit to send/log CAN messages. Still would like to know the appropriate messages for the center display on an Audi B6 model.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

the arduino and ras-pi can both log and "sniff" canbus through obd2 port so what makes you think it cant be used for what your trying do to?

what about a micro itx motherboard for embedded computing? or are these too big for this?

Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Oh, the ras-pi could sniff the port, that's not a problem. Now, if I want to break my DIN bracket and re-wire my original stereo back in, I could probably sniff the codes that I'm asking for.

But to go back to the original post in the (p.s. section), I haven't seen an android build for ras-pi. Android would be needed, ultimately due to the wealth of GPS stuff in the Play Store. For instance, I purchased Tom-Tom for Android, which gives my current phone and tablet full GPS maps/directions without needing an internet connection, which makes ANY android based head-unit instantly usable for SAT NAV.

The only issues I currently have is to find a good board, and somehow figure out how to get SiriusXM and radio working (without an internet connection). I can probably build/buy a Radio chip, as there is good documentation for PLL decoding with FPGA's. And yes, a micro itx would be usable.

Android Car Infotainment system looks great.

A funny thing about time.... wait long enough and the right board will pop-up.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 AM
1st Gear
Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

Yes tofast2belast. I have two model b's. They are too slow for any realtime processing. The graphics is great, but broadcomm has all that under NDA.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

tofast2belast - and in over 1 year, nobody, but nobody has been able to get Android running on a ras-pi board. Many, many and many have tried. They always fail to boot due to kernel panic, mostly because of timing issues.