B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

car won't start

Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Default car won't start

I have a 2004 A4 1.8T with a little over 90k miles on it.

About a month ago, I was driving on the highway at about 65mph. I tried to pass someone and, as I was accelerating, my car seemed to "stutter" a bit and I had a flashing MIL. After this incident it drove fine as long as I didn't accelerate hard at high speeds and the flashing MIL even went away. Regardless, it seemed like I was misfiring so I checked my coilpacks with the help of this:
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1003672.phtml

I checked each coilpack by pulling CP1 out, starting my car, checked to see if the car sounded worse, shut off car, put CP1 back in, pulled CP2 out, etc.
After I was done checking all four (and all coilpacks were back in), I tried starting my car and it didn't start.

I just replaced all 4 coilpacks and my car still does not start. I also replaced my spark plugs a couple of months ago before this incident even occurred. Could it be a battery issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

when you tried to start your car, was it trying to turn over, or when you turned the key did it just do nothing?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM

when I turn the key, it seems to just keep cranking...but does not seem to turn over.
I was going to try to jump it in a few minutes with a friend's car. Can it be the starter?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

If I were you, I would not try to jump start the car because theres just so many things that can happen while jumping it. You could fry a few circuits, or you could kill your alternator. It cant be the starter otherwise your car wouldnt be cranking at all, if it was, you would here alot of clicking from the starter. Your car is fairly new, but i wouldnt assume that its the alternator, but check it anyways. A way to check your alternator is to try to start your car, while its running, pull off one of the battery cable from your battery. If your car shuts off completely, then you have an alternator problem. If your car is still on while the battery cable off, then you have another problem.

Another possible cause is your spark plugs, they all may be shot. Pull them out to see if they are burnt at the tip. Make sure your plugs are iridium from NGK. If not, replace them.

If spark plugs are still good, then check your fuel. Try to crank the car, while its cranking stick your head out the window and smell if theres any sign of fuel. If you dont, then you need to replace your fuel pump ($285 without labor, but real easy if you want to do it yourself), and your fuel filter ($38 also an easy job).

Last edited by v13tbr3ak3rbo1; 08-27-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

For the most part I think its your fuel pump and fuel filter.

heres a DIY site for replacing your fuel pump.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...highlight=fuel

If your car is a quattro, then your fuel pump is located in the rear seat, but if your car isnt a quattro, then its located in the rear trunk.

Good Luck and let me know how it went.

Last edited by v13tbr3ak3rbo1; 08-27-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Well, thankfully I did not jump start my car. Before I had a chance to, I tried to start up my car one last time and it started after cranking it for a bit. Not sure if it was because I had my car sitting in the driveway for a week and a half without driving??? I was also due for an oil change, so I did that in addition to swapping my coilpacks. After the car started, quite a bit of smoke (kinda smelled like gun smoke) came out of my exhaust but went away after a few minutes.

I let the engine run for a good 10-15 minutes, then restarted it. My car seems to be running fine so far, however a solid CEL is showing. I drove it over to Autozone to get it scanned and the reading indicated cylinders 3 and 4 misfiring. Since I already replaced all 4 spark plugs (NGK BKR6E) and coilpacks, is there anything else you would suggest checking? The Autozone technician suggested I throw in a bottle of injector fluid, which I did. Not sure if that will clear the CEL eventually?

Do you think I should still keep an eye out for the fuel pump/fuel filter? If so, this DIY will definitely come in handy...Thanks!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

My coil packs went out on my before and it left a check engine light on although i replaced it already. The light will stay on until you clear the code. So go back to autozone and clear it. Just do a oil change to see if black smoke continues to come out, but be careful with your fuel filter if you havent already changed it. I have a 2003 1.8 at 95,000 miles and my fuel filter started to make a lot of squeeking noise from the back, luckily i replace asap otherwise it would affect my fuel pump.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Do you have a DIY for fuel filter change?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 AM