B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Central locking helllpppp!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
1st Gear
Cool Central locking helllpppp!

Hi everyone this is my first post so forgive me if i have posted in wrong place.
Car is audi a4 1.9 tdi 2001

Sometime you can use thefob to unlock car, but when you cant you can only open the 2 front doors and boot but not the 2 back doors and you cant open them from inside either, sometimes if you drive long enough the indicators will start flashing and then you have to take key out of ignition and you can stop it with the key fob and all is well then.
Its driving me mad because you dont know when your hazard lights are going to start going wild and making you look like a car thiefing tit!
I have had trouble with water coming in under the ecu box because a previous owner had ripped it out litrally but i have fixed that now.
I only have one key and i have changed batteries.
Thanks for any help joe.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

It's either water in your comfort control module (it's under the driver's seat generally), is that the one you fixed the water problem with? ECU isn't the CCM...... Did you replace it? It may have corrosion on it...

OR,

It could simply be your ignition switch in your steering wheel, there was a recall for those, I've replaced mine on both my B5s (not hard to do)....

You need to scan for codes....a generic OBD2 scanner won't connect to the CCM module...you would need the VAG software and cable, then it'll throw some codes at you and you can pinpoint the problem more accurately (most of the time). The VAG will communicate with all the modules in your car, where the generic scanners only connect to the ECM and TCM usually...newer ones may be different nowadays....

Last edited by markymarc; 01-06-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

I have taken out the drivers seat and there was nothing under there, i have pulled the carpet back on the passenger seat and found a black case which i opened up, no sign of any corrosion or broken wire, no water has got into that side of the car, i put it on a vag com at a garage a couple of months ago when it was playing up and there was a lot of faults with the locking system, i havegot the print out i can find.
The water issue was just from where the ecu cover had not been put back on properly allowing water to come into the drivers footwell and back to the rightback seat, that problem fixed now. I have just bought a vag com so i will test it again when it gets here.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

if yours is a right hand drive one then the black case on passenger side is the one you need to check. check the wiring harness as well. Even if it 'looks' okay, from what you are describing, it could be the CCM. The CCM is located in an electronics box below the carpet. The wiring harness runs under the carpet towards the firewall. Both the wiring harness and the CCM can become saturated with water-maybe dry now, but who knows...

If you decide to replace it, you need the exact one and it needs to be programmed/coded for your car.

Or it's your ignition switch.

Since you are getting a VAG com, you can reprogram the CCM yourself, read settings/codes off old one and make sure you input them on the new one-IF you replace it which you may have to. I'm pretty sure somehow your CCM had water in it at one point, they are notorious for that from drain tubes from filter and/or sunroof etc...and it's causing all that havoc...most times, the sunroof will act erratic as well...follow the wiring, and see if it's corroded anywhere from water as well.

Last edited by markymarc; 01-07-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Well i will give it anither check when i can, i drove home from work about 2 hours ago that journey takes about 45 mins and the hazard lights started going of about 5 mins away from house, then went out in it a few minutes ago and i had to unlock with the key again, but go 5 minutes down the road and the hazards go off again, it seems like something takes time to charge to set it off.
1 baffled owner haha!