B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Crowning Achievement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

Hey douchebags, stop calling names and discuss the issue of Audi reliability. Attack the idea, not the person. Now, that I have your attention by name calling...

Consumer Reports does a scientific survey of car reliability and Audi's are near the bottom through ~2005, then start improving. Keep in mind that people are more likely to respond to surveys (or start threads) with bad experiences rather than good.

Here's another sample of one: car in signature purchased used at 37k and currently at 168k. Repairs: alternator, clutch/flywheel, front axle boots. Still has oem shocks and battery. Had regular maintenance; treated gently but driven fast with a lot of highway miles. What else: headlight washers failed and were capped and passenger rear window is sticking. This is a car that I expect to drive well over 200k.

I consider mine to be a reliable car. The only car I have had with better reliability is a 2002 Saturn Vue that I gave to may daughter 5 years ago and currently has 175k. But it is no way as much fun to drive and has about 10% of the features and 2% of the comfort of the A6. I shopped carefully and bought a 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 with 69k (now at 81k) and it has been reliable as well. The only problem, other than expected maintenance like brakes and battery, has been a catalytic converter replacement (under warranty -- I would have been pissed if I had to pay and would probably have lived with the occasional CEL) and a clutch switch failure.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Administrator

188k on my B5, and only piddling repairs (headlight combi switch, fuel sending unit, valve cover gaskets) and the known/expected control arm replacement. When wear components fail, I upgrade (brakes, wheels/tires, etc). This car has been great, and I probably mirror the sentiments of most of us when I say that the enjoyment I get from it makes the issues worth dealing with.

I have to agree that the whole point of this thread seems suspect and irrelevant. Dan1969 is right - no sense in it going any farther. Time to put it to bed.