B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

At my Wit's End

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Default At my Wit's End

So, my 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro was affected by the ignition coil recall. Around mid-December the check engine light came on and I took it down to my dealer (50 miles away) and the next day they said it was fixed and I went and picked it up.

Less than a week later, the check engine light came back on, flashing this time, and the car sounded like a lawnmower, and had very little power. I had it towed down, and the next day they said it was fixed and I went and got it.

Late Feb, the check engine light came back on, brought it back down, got it 2 days later, "fixed"/.

3 days later, check engine light came back on once again. Drove it back to the dealer, and told them I would not take it back unless it is fixed. Something is causing this car to constantly misfire. A day later, they told me they had found some burned wires (I'm not sure where in the engine) and they had to order the parts from Germany. A week later, they call and say the car is ready to go, but I could not come down and get it that day. The next morning, they call me and said he started it up cold in the morning, the car shook, misfired, and the check engine light came on. The next day, I called and he said that they found 2 badly fouled spark plugs and the car was ready to go but he wanted to start it cold in the morning to check it out. He called the next morning and said it is running great and I can come get it.

I go down there, get the car and it was great, drove like a dream back to my house. The next morning, I start the car and the check engine light comes back on.

I am ready to drive this thing off a cliff, 5 times now for the same thing in 4 months, 5 times.

Can anyone shed some light on what could be going on, cuz my dealer sure as heck cant figure it out. If more explanation is needed, I would be happy to expound. I am just so dang frustrated right now.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear

My guess is that you drove the car with the missfire causing it to mess up your catalytic converter. If you scan it is going to give you the PO431 code, which is the Catalytic converter warm up efficiency thingy. The wires that the dealer probably fixed was the wiring harness for the coilpacks, they do go bad now and the causing weird missfires.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Well, I had no choice but to drive it today. And noticed something, when I start it, it takes 4-5 seconds to turn over (not always, sometimes its normal, sometimes it 2 sec or so)

When I drive it, it runs perfectly fine, accelerates fine, handles fine, sounds fine, revs fine.

When I stop somewhere, and return to the car to start it, same thing as above. But otherwise the car runs perfectly.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM

so is the check engine light flashing again or just on. if you could get a code number for me i will be gladly to help you out. sorry to hear that the dealer cant figure it oout sometimes these cars do weird thing after you fix one problem something happens right away after it.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Check engine light is just on, not flashing. Where can I get a code scanner, and how much is it?

On a side note, can you explain the check engine on as opposed to flashing? When I had it towed, it was flashing.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear

The code scanner is a common OBDII scanner, you can get them at any parts store (autozone, they used to scan codes for free).

The flashing CEL means missfire, which is what happenned to you originally, now you're just going to have the cat code. Usually is the cat, it could very well be your aft O2 sensor fouled due to the unburned fuel dumped into the cat.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

Another wrinkle in my problem. I started the car tonight to let it run for a few just to see if anything changes. When I started it, the CEL flashed and the car sounded rough. Not really rough, but a little bit.

I revved the engine to about 2500, and the CEL stopped flashing, but stayed lit.

Any ideas?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear

sounds like a coilpack. you should get an obdII scanner. you can rent them from autozone for free or just keep it like i did. its nice to have the scanner all the time. if it is a misfire move that coilpack to a diff cylinder, clear the code and see if the misfire follows.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shane.trammell
sounds like a coilpack. you should get an obdII scanner. you can rent them from autozone for free or just keep it like i did. its nice to have the scanner all the time. if it is a misfire move that coilpack to a diff cylinder, clear the code and see if the misfire follows.
Ok, so this would be the 5th time in 4 months time that I need my coils replaced. What in the world would keep blowing my coils?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear

A bad ground on your coilpack harness.