B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

ESP light staying on A4 B6

Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 AM
1st Gear
Question ESP light staying on A4 B6

ESP light staying on A4 B6 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep getting the ESP light coming on after 5-10mins of running either idle or moving.I consulted a Audi tech and was diagnosed that the solenoid in the engine mounts were the faults? Since then I have changed them plus new front wheel sensors with no success..I was wondering has anyone suffered this and if so how do I fix this..can anyone give me some suggestions please..

Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Certified

haha.......... OMG.

An Audi tech really told you your ESP light is on for hydraulic mounts...?

Thats the worst thing i ever heard. The hydraulic mount fault is there because someone left the sensor unplugged last time they did and oil change.

Most common problems for esp.... Wheel speed sensors, brake light switch, damaged tone rings, or steering angle sensor

Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
Most common problems for esp.... Wheel speed sensors, brake light switch, damaged tone rings, or steering angle sensor
Is there a way to narrow it down to which could be the culprit, other than just replacing each? My wife's 2003 3.0 Avant's ESP light will sometimes come on and stay on, but it's intermittent, and always goes away with a restart of the engine.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply since your response I have plugged a vag-com with it now telling me I have a fault with the front wheel sensor,steering angle sensor G85 and a error message other the ecu..how much do think this will cost me to fix..?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

hey man it might be the speed sensor ($50-80), or brake light switch ($230) since the brakes are connected to the esp program.
good way to know is; if you are driving and you can not use cruise control then is def. the brake light switch because your car thinks is breaking therefore, it won't turn on the cruise control.
hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for that man do u think it could be the brake light switch even if I don't have cruise control? Also do u think a pattern part speed sensor will work or does it have to be genuine Audi..?
The vag-com is saying G47 0283 front left sensor..? Ive been reading threads and some people say tone rings,sensors,switches etc?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

to be honest I'm not sure, just change the cheapest first (speed sensor) is not too hard, is located right next to the oil filter.
you have to lift the car- ramps/jacks
take the bottom cover
I believe is a hex key holding it
before anything unplug it from the top end (right behind you coolant tank) I believe is the third from right to left.
try this first before you drop $230.... about the brake light switch I'm not sure. sorry man.

hope I was good at explaining myself.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

DO NOT START TO BE A PART CHANGER. DIAGNOSE IT FIRST

does it turns ON without driving and turning the steering wheel?
is your steering wheel crooked a little bit?
did u do alignment not so long ago?

"G85 - steering angle sensor" I had the same problem till i start to work in firestone on alignments. I learnt that audi have that sensor telling the ECU how is the steering wheel located (is it centered or not). If a sterring wheel is not exactly streight (or not in the same place as the sensor was relearnt last time) it kicks a G85 code because it thinks that the car is turning all the time but it also sees that each wheel is spinning in the same speed (which is impossible). THats why it kicks that code.

In order to fix it u have to do alignment but before that let them know that they have to relearn a steering angle sensor. They will know what are you talking about.
In our shop we never do it. I did it only on my car. There is no additional charge for that process

(im not sure but i remember something that it will throw a code after u will turn a wheel both direction full turn and driving straight for like 15meters with speed less than 20km/h. It was something like that-i dont remember exactly)

Last edited by Rychu; 02-03-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

mine does that. there a leak in my brake booster vacuum

this is what i have. 17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure
P1479 - 35-00 - -

cant be 100% sure without a code. scan the car with a vagcom. 10 bucks cable on ebay and free software.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM
1st Gear
Default ESP light comes on when it has not been engaged

I have a 2005.5 Avant 2.0L that is also experiencing having the ESP light come on when the ESP button has not been pressed. Toggling the button does nothing. Turning off the car resets it. Is the ESP on when the light is on, or is it that the light can be showing a false reading when the ESP is actually off?

I will have to test to see if I can use the cruise control. Thank for the tip.
I have every reason to believe that my wheel is properly centered. I will have to verify this.
The steering is aligned. I'm sure I would have noticed if it were not aligned.

I don't have a code, as I don't have Vagcomm or a laptop that runs Windows. I'm a Linux user. Is it worth it to convert my lappy to Windows, just so that I can get this code?
Is it expensive for a dealer to produce this code information?

I just had work done on the vehicle a the dealership last June to repair the airbag warning light (faulty wiring under the back seat), and the blower motor, all under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESP light staying on A4 B6