B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Just replaced my coolant temp sensor...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Just replaced my coolant temp sensor...

So I started having a problem with my heater, temp gauge, and fan a while back. Basically, when I first start the car, the engine fan kicks on full blast for a while, while driving my temp gauge never goes much higher than 1/8th of the way up, and I get heat through my vents, but it takes a while to get there. At first I thought it might be the thermostat but considering I'm getting heat in the cabin and based on searching around the forums I came to realize it was most likely my coolant temp sensor.

So I just ordered a new one from ECS, installed it this afternoon, and took a drive. The problem is my CEL is still lit up after replacing the sensor, my fan still kicked on like a crazy bastard, and my heater still took quite a while to get hot. I guess what I'm wondering is...do I need to take the car in and have the CEL cleared before the car will fully realize that everything is ok? Or is it possible I still have a problem with something else? It runs fine otherwise, and like I said, I'm getting cabin heat, so I highly doubt its the t-stat....

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Just replaced my coolant temp sensor...

Disconnect your battery for 20mins and start back up if your car is anything like mine it loves to be left alone for 20 to 30mins then its perfect. As far as the CEL that will take about 40miles to clear if you let it go.

When's the last flush and fill or when was the last time you added anything to it? Do you have the 1.8 or 3.0.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Coolant temp sensor?..Didn't Audi extend their warranty for this? They sent letters out to B6 owners. They can reimburse for the work if you've already done so. Jus FYI in case you hadn't known....

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

It's a 1.8t and I just recently did a flush/fill. It's been a week and a half or so since I originally posted this issue and unfortunately I'm still receiving the code. My temp gauge seems to be functioning better, but stillnever gets to the normal point during driving. Also, I had the code cleared, and it came back about 15 miles later...blah...I'm almost wondering if it IS a problem with the t-stat afterall. Might have to have the coolant system checked pretty quick.

Any other ideas would be appreciated though. Thanks guys.