B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Oil Pressure Low - light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Pressure Low - light

Now I have read quite a few posts here saying usually low oil pressure light means sludge, most B6 models are generally known to burn oil and thus frequent top-ups. When people comment with reference to sludge they should precisely point out that if the dip stick indicates acceptable level of oil then query sludge. How can I even dream of sludge if the dipstik says low? Even without a leak in most B6s oil gets low. The issue of low oil pressure is confusing enough on its won without pple generalising like that.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

Haha your post is funny. Ok, just because the level is low doesnt mean that you will be having low pressure. Also, my car hasn't always burned oil. Lately I've been going through about a quart every 10k miles, which I blame on high miles or maybe a bad head gasket or something. But, even when my low oil level light comes on and the oil is just barely on the dipstick I still dont have low oil pressure.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

I've never had a low pressure warning, nor have I had to add oil between oil changes (I change the oil every 5K miles or so). I think perhaps the OP is making some unfounded generalizations...?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

yeah ive never had to add a drop to my car as long as ive owned it.and to your question-low oil level shouldnt trigger a low oil pressure light

the 2.0t B7s or anything with direct injection will burn a bit between changes.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by ilackav8
yeah ive never had to add a drop to my car as long as ive owned it.and to your question-low oil level shouldnt trigger a low oil pressure light

the 2.0t B7s or anything with direct injection will burn a bit between changes.

Huh......................?

Low oil level not trigger low oil pressure...........?

Where do you think it gets the pressure from.......?

1 qt to 1,000 miles is Audi spec for consumption. I know its alot. They are saying its safe to be adding 5 qts between oil changes which is ridiculous and obviously on the extreme end.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

if its coming up as low oil pressure i would check out the oil pick-up tube. it'll clog up and starve your engine of oil

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

I agree with the Oil pick up tube. Its a $25 part at the dealer but not an easy job. I just did this on my car and saved a lot of money doing it myself but i would put a few solid days aside.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
Huh......................?

Low oil level not trigger low oil pressure...........?

Where do you think it gets the pressure from.......?

1 qt to 1,000 miles is Audi spec for consumption. I know its alot. They are saying its safe to be adding 5 qts between oil changes which is ridiculous and obviously on the extreme end.
you are correct if the level is low enough. also, that would be 10 QTs between changes, as audi recommends 10k intervals. oil quality tests have been performed up to 10k that have come back positive, so you arent doing anyone any favors by changing every 5k.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

I just got my recall notice dealing with sludge issues in the B6's. Im also burning oil on start up and losing about 1qt every 1500 miles.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Rowdy-Audi
I just got my recall notice dealing with sludge issues in the B6's. Im also burning oil on start up and losing about 1qt every 1500 miles.
Thats a lot of oil. I would look for a leak. Look at the head gasket and valve cover gasket.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Low - light