B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Rack and Pinion Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Rack and Pinion Question

Hey Guys,

I have a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro, 60,000m. It's lowered about 2" below sport suspension.

My car has been leaking p/s fluid for some time now. For the past 2 weeks it has been sitting in my driveway since I have been carpooling to work. I went out the other day to start it up and drive around some, and when I did so I noticed the p/s resevoir was completely empty and when turning the wheel I heard a nasty grinding noice. I got the car up on some stands today and noticed that the boot between the tie rod and the rack & pinion is fillied with fluid. I was wondering if this is a sure indicator that I need a new rack and pinion?

What do you guys think?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Here's what I think....I don't know for sure.... but I do know that that boot is there to prevent debris from entering the joint and to keep the fluid that is there to lubricate the joint from spilling out. There is no way that your powersteering fluid is leaking from the ps pump or ps fluid resevoir into that boot unless you have run a tube or hose from the pump or resevoir into that boot with the intention of creating the issue you are having. Like I said i'm not 100% sure of this but...

Anyhow, that boot is leaking(?) now so yes you should replace it as far as the pump(?) it's now making "grinding" noises so I would find out why it's leaking remedy the leak and see if the grinding persists if so replace the parts as you eliminate the problems. Maybe I didn't fully understand your diagnosis of the problem but without actually seeing it myself this is the best I can do. Good luck I hope it all works out without costing a bunch of money that could have been spent on upgrades.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I guess i wasn't completely clear....The boot isn't leaking, but if you squeeze the clamp on the outside of the boot, fluid comes out. There is fluid all around the rack and pinion on the driver side of the car, so its hard to tell exactly where the fluid is coming from. I did clean everything up so hopefully it will be a lil easier to spot tomorrow. I did notice, however, with the car off, while turning the wheel form lock to lock, you can hear what sounds like two pieces of metal sliding against each other. It sounds like that is coming from the rack and pinion itself (I'm not sure, but I don't think that is normal). Also, you can hear fluid slushing around as the wheel is being turned back and forth.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

With the car off and you turning the wheels the "slushing" sound is possibly, possibly due to the fluid being pushed through the system as is how the power steering pump accomplishes it's job. You are simply doing it manually without the assistance of the pump however the fluid must still be displaced. The metal on metal sound is never good. Friction is bad. Also I would replace the fluid in the boot and replace the clamps with ones that do not allow you to squeeze said fluid out. For future reference, unless you see something other than what looks like grease, oil, hydraulic fluid etc. do not remove it from the component you are inspecting its there for a reason. Now that it's all cleaned up though you should be able to pinpoint the leak and fix it. Good luck man.

Last edited by krystallbluea4; 11-15-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

On second thought if you in the process of inspecting thing are able to get fluid to secrete out of any component just by squeezing it I would replace the component or the boot or whatever is designed to isolate the fluid. The components on a vehicle should definitely be more durable than that...

Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 PM

your rack sounds like it is toast, and your power steering pump as well if you ran it without fluid. cheapest bet would be is to search for a rebuilt rack, and have it installed. you should try to top up the fluid for now and check with your local mechanic asap!

btw.. use only audi approved ps fluid such as pentosin chf11s or the orginal fluid from the dealer. it will be green.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 PM

yes you need a rack. theres no investigating to be done... its a dry boot. if theres fluid the racks outter seal is bad.

its not repairable... its replacement. it sucks, cause its expensive

Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

yea i had a leak also in my p/s an my ride was under aftermarket warr. an they looked at it an it was leaking from the bolts that hold the lines in the rack... supposedly these 3 bolts have seals on them.. but i nevr let my p/s resivoir run low cuz knew it coulda led 2 more probs. down the rode..

Old 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Well, turns out everyone was right, my local Audi guy just informed me that it is my rack that is toast. I was wondering if anyone knew where the best place to get one would be? My mechanic is checking on some better pricing for me but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check out some prices on my own.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

bump...anyone have any ideas? also, has anyone had this done recently and if so what were you charged in labor? just so that I kinda have an idea as to what I'm getting myself into.