B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Right Dipped Headlight/Left Front Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Right Dipped Headlight/Left Front Turn Signal

I have a 2003 A4 Avant. A while back, my passenger side dipped headlight went out. Replaced the bulb, seemed to work for about 3 days. Went out again. Obviously something else is going on. A week or so ago, I was braking downhill when I turned the turn signal on, it blinked quickly and gave me the "Front Left Turn Signal". Since then, it has worked intermittently. The headlight has not come back on at any point. Because I was braking downhill when the turn signal first started acting out, I though maybe there was some water causing the problem, but where do I look? If not water, what else could be causing this?

I need to get the car inspected soon, so I need to figure this out fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

I had a turn signal go out suddenly. Bulb itself was good, but something shorted out the connecting pins, might have been moisture. Sounds just like yours. fine one day, bad the next, then just done. Probably corroded. Pulled the plug so I could find one that fit at the parts shop. Took and little sandpaper to the connectors, hit the fixture with some compressed air to make sure it was clean and dry and been great since with the new bulb.

Hopefully you didn't toss the bulb you replaced. Usually I would swap headlights from one side to the other before replacing. Make sure the problem follows the bulb. There are levelers in the suspension that can go bad as well. Pull both headlights out, compare the two bulbs and swap, do the turn signals while you are there too.

I replaced my HIDs 8-9 months ago and I have one giving me the dipped left headlight already. Going to swap tomorrow night. Will keep you posted if I find the problem is more than just the bulb.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

i would check the contact points on the turnsignal. and also check the actual plug at the back of the headlight.