B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Smoke coming from left side under the engine, is it due to the leak? Check the PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

if it smells sweet and burns white its coolant.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Battery drain and engine smoke!!

Hi there,

I've got an Audi A4 2002 in Sweden.

The story's started two weeks ago when I couldn't unlock the car by fob and thought it was the fob's battery and after changing still not working. Opened the door with key but realized the battery is dead!!!
Jumped cable and engine started quickly. This happened a couple of times after one or two days left parked.
Changed the battery and got a new one and after one day the new battery was drained again!! whaaaaatttt...
jumped cable again and dropped the car to an Electromechanic for one night so he had a chance to check the generator etc etc. But he didn't have any problem to start the car in the morning and his computer results showed no problem at alllll.
By the way, my cd player is somehow broken and a cd got stuck in it, although radio is working even the display shows nothing. I told the radio problem to the electrician and he thought maybe that might have been causing the battery drain and he pulled out the fuse to see if that's the problem.
The car worked well for 3 consecutive days over the weekend but on Sunday evening I put back the fuse in and the car was parked the whole Monday and on Tuesday the battery was drained again. I pulled out the fuse again and asked people for jump cable but this time wired thing happened!!
The engine failed to fire upppp, it looked like there is no fuel in it but it was full of fuel!!!
We tried to drag on 2nd gear with another car to see if it's a fuel clogged but the engine started for less than 1 min and when I released my foot from the clutch it went off!!!!
I was quite disappointed and left the car in the parking but I put back the fuse inside the fuse box.
Today, a repair guy came and he jumped cable it and the engine startsssss!!!! damn it, i was so confused!!!!
Did that damn fuse cause the engine not starting yesterday?? Actually according to the map on the fuse box's cover that fuse (number 32) is responsible for Engine management but it also turn the radio's electricity off.
Anyhow, today after the repair guy jumped cable the car he told me drive one hour with car to recharge the battery and he left, when he left, occasionally I opened the hood to see everything's OK, but I realized smoke coming out from the left side, below the engine, it looked like when we burn a plastic wire I guess!! I parked the car quickly coz I thought it might damage something or even explosion!!
I will tow the car to an Audi authorized repair service on Friday but I was wondering if you could give me a clue!!
By the way, I checked the car now and it starts up pretty normal even the car was on only for 10 min after jump cable and wondering that could have been enough to charge the battery!! But didn't check under the hood if it's still smoking!!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear

Wow, old thread.

Did the smoke smell like burning plastic or burning oil?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 AM
1st Gear

I guess burning plastic or mixture, I'm not sure!!!