B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

sounds like a deisel at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy sounds like a deisel at idle

i have a 2002 audi a4 1.8T quattro. just put in a new clutch, car has 136k miles, and at idle it sounds like a diesel. its a knocking/clicking noise thats really loud but only at idle, it stops after you get it past 2000 rpm but only if its being driven, just revving it up makes it louder. also the oil pressure light is on and the check engine light is on. the code was P0011 and two knock sensors. its the intake on the camshaft is "too overly advanced". im in the middle of replacing the valve cover gasket, just did an oil change and the clutch. now im thinking i may need a new oil pump or something, but i need other opinions before i start dropping unnecessary money into it. also i found out yesterday during the oil change that the person before me had the wrong type of oil filter on the car, it was too big, it was the audi one for the 3.0 v6 not the 1.8t. could that have done anything serious?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

so tomorrow i will hopefully be finishing up my car, new plugs, oil, oil filter, valve cover gasket, and im ordering a new oil pick up tube to put in, hopefully that will fix that low oil pressure problem and return full lubrication to the engine. but the P0011 code "intake camshaft timing overly advanced" is scarring me...do i need a whole new timing set up? or can this be fixed with a new timing chain tensioner? any and all opinions/hints/advice is greatly appreciated

Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear

If you have the oil pressure thing going on more than likely you have an oil pump issue. When was the timing belt done?

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Site Moderator

Its too early to tell if the timing problem is related or seperate, as dan1969 was hinting at, its probably timing belt related.

The oil pressure issue is a clogged oil pick up tube 90% of the time, after changing the tube and oil filter and fresh oil you should be good. The rattling/diesel noise may take several days of driving to get rid of, or if its really screwed up it may never go away. Be prepared to spend several hundred dollars replacing that tensioner because it sounds like you have run that engine long enough with low oil pressure to destroy that tensioner.

P.S. It only takes about 5 minutes of running time with no oil pressure to destroy the tensioner.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

damnnnnn well i have an oil pick up tube on the way, also i changed the plugs and valve cover gasket and it sounds much quieter although the noise is still there. the timing was just done at 91k and it currently has 136k on it. i just really hope its not anything to do with the timing but of course with my luck it will be. i checked the tensioner it seems to be in good shape, no scratches or chips, its still very tight, not loose AT ALL. the pad seems to be in good/decent shape...i was told by some other audi owners that if its the tensioner you would be able to notice its poor condition, but everything seems fine except for deisel noise (which is quieter than before, now). but when i had the valve cover off my mechanics teacher looked at the camshafts and said there still in pretty good shape, no scorch marks or anything..

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02A4kid
damnnnnn well i have an oil pick up tube on the way, also i changed the plugs and valve cover gasket and it sounds much quieter although the noise is still there. the timing was just done at 91k and it currently has 136k on it. i just really hope its not anything to do with the timing but of course with my luck it will be. i checked the tensioner it seems to be in good shape, no scratches or chips, its still very tight, not loose AT ALL. the pad seems to be in good/decent shape...i was told by some other audi owners that if its the tensioner you would be able to notice its poor condition, but everything seems fine except for deisel noise (which is quieter than before, now). but when i had the valve cover off my mechanics teacher looked at the camshafts and said there still in pretty good shape, no scorch marks or anything..
From what you're saying, it sounds like you have low oil pressure, which is causing the light to go on, and starving the engine of the oil pressure needed to make the cam chain tensioner run properly. I don't know how your teacher would be able to see the cams without at least taking a cam cap off.

If it were the timing, you would be lucky because you aren't risking nearly the damage of having low oil pressure

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

well do you think after i get the new oil pick up tube in with much thinner oil the noise would go away? atleast eventually with normal driving and such? idk i just lost my job (resturaunt went outta business), im moving out for college in 2 months, and i cant ask my parents to be paying for my car repairs after they just bought it for me in april of this year. timing would force me to possibly sell my car if i cant pay for it. i just need any and all advice about anything you guys have to say with whats wrong with my car, all help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 AM
1st Gear

hi guys,
i am really new on thi platform. so i will like a lot of help.my audi 2002 quatro 1.8t sounds like diesel the check engine sign is on costantly,also after start i get an oil sign and a beep. what does all this mean.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 AM
1st Gear

the engine also shakes a bit at idle and when stopping. changed my seats. engine and gearbox. coils etcs. but the sahking is still der. i really need help