B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Thinking about buying a B6 A4 - Am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Thinking about buying a B6 A4 - Am I missing anything?

Hi everyone,

Sorry to add yet another "looking to purchase an A4" thread, but I'd just like to make sure I've nailed all the issues. After reading various posts and talking to some friends, I've gathered up the following list of problems and things to look out for when buying a B6 A4 1.8T Manual:

Major/Common Problems:
  • Sludge Build up
  • Timing belt + water pump
  • Coolant flange prone to leaks
  • Coil-packs Prone to failure
  • Various Electrical Problems

Things to look out for:
  • Service records and maintenance history.
  • Synthetic oil changes performed every 5-6k miles (prevents sludge issue from occurring).
  • Timing belt + Water pump replaced every 80k.
  • Ensure coolant flange was replaced.
  • Keep spare coil packs in car.

Questions:
  • Are long oil change intervals the main cause of the sludge issue?
  • Would a late change of the timing belt cause any problems (Is it all or nothing, it works until it breaks and wrecks your engine)?
  • Are coolant leaks prone to occur even after fixing? Does the dealer provide upgraded parts to prevent the problems from happening?
  • Are there aftermarket coil packs which are less prone to failure than OEM?
  • Will 15 or 16" wheels fit on the car?
  • Are there any major problems with the center diff?

Thanks!

Last edited by ctoast; 08-08-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

Hello,

I will answer your questions as best as I can.

Your first question on the oil changes. That is a big fat yes. The biggest problem is that the turbo in the car creates so much heat that when it cools off it creates "coke" in the oil lines, and sludge in the oil pan. Thus lowering oil pressure and detroyoing the top half of the motor(happened to me the first day I had mine). MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT CAR FAX. I wouldn't buy Another 1.8t outside of an Audi dealership. If you do, you are gambling your money.

Your second question on timing belt. Honestly I don't have an answer for it. But that is some thing that you should always always do at the right miles. Will going to 85k kill you? Probably not. But you should do it as soon as you can, the motor already has enough going against it.

Your third question on coolant leaks. I've had my 2002 Audi 1.8t for 3 years now. I haven't had a single coolant leak. Before the motor went out, I saw no signs of one either. That's 10 years of no leaks.

Your fourth question on coil packs. They have a recall on them. And the new ones they've put out are much more reliable. I wouldn't worry about it.

Your fifth question on rims. I had 19s on mine at one point. Lol. So yes, those will fit just fine. Just make sure you get the right lug pattern. 5/112

And your final question about the center diff. I have had no problem. The motor on my car has been replaced, but the rest of the car still has 103k miles on it. I inspect my car every couple months, and all of that is doing just fine on my car.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

I think you're in good shape to go out shopping, ctoast. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have access to Kelly Blue Book whenever you find an A4 that strikes your fancy. You gotta do your homework in order to make a good decision on a vehicle.

Personally, I would walk away from any Audi where the seller does not have complete maintenance records.

Good luck!