B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Timing belt, TDC & Aligning, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Default Timing belt, TDC & Aligning, please help!!!

Thanks to "yoogene83" for this helpful DIY. However, I am still confused over step #5. Can anyone please elborate or DUMB IT DOWN for me, as I am in the process of replacing my timing belt on 2002 Audi A4 1.8t.

5. This step is the very critical. Carefully align the 2 timing marks (one on the cam sprocket, the other on the edge of the valve cove) by turning the engine by hand, clockwise, using the 19mm bolt on the crank (where you removed the dampner pulley from earlier). While you have the belt off, you must make sure that these marks remain perfectly aligned. DO NOT use the top cam to turn the engine; always turn at the crank when the tbelt is installed!

Another tip is to mark the belt where the mark is and then mark where the crank pulley mark is at. This way you can count the teeth (if need be) if you aren't sure your marks are lined up with the new belt.

Also make your own mark the lower toothed sprocket on the crank, just for your
own comfort of knowing that the sprocket remained in the same position throughout the install. I scratched an arrow on the sprocket; as you can see in the picture that the mark aligns with the tip of that protrusion in the metal above it. So after you have marked the top cam and the bottom crank continue to the next step you will also notice that the top cam is very hard to turn by hand so it most likely won't move but marks are critical!

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...er-Pump-Change

Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM
3rd Gear

It is saying to make sure that you have the things lined up perfectly before putting the new belt in, and since you're going to tension the belt, to count how many teeth are in between the cam sprocket and the crankshaft on the old belt before removing it, because remember once you put the new one you're going to have to tension it.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dan1969
It is saying to make sure that you have the things lined up perfectly before putting the new belt in, and since you're going to tension the belt, to count how many teeth are in between the cam sprocket and the crankshaft on the old belt before removing it, because remember once you put the new one you're going to have to tension it.

I haven't gotten to the timing belt yet, still removing radiator and ac condensor and etc. So do you mean that there are marks already on the timing sprocket & cam head??? Then I would just have to keep those marks in line through the whole time correct?

Someone help please, thanks in advance!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Best way to do this is to mark everything with tippex/snowpake/whiteout (or whatever you guys call it). Mark the belt coming off and corresponding tooth positions on the crankshaft and cam shafts. Next, copy the marks directly to the new belt. When it goes on make sure all the marks line up. IDIOT PROOF...!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear

Yes the marks are already on there, but it doesn't hurt to do what is suggested above.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Hey guys im in the same boat as the OP im stuck right here.

I was trying to put on the the timing belt and where you put the 19mm 12 point the pulley moved and its out of aligned. My question is it safe to move it back without the timing belt attach? it moved counter clockwise can i just go back counter close wise or i have to go clockwise?

also do you guys have any tips on how tips on how to put on the belt its very tight i seems like i have to stretch the belt a little

Old 04-25-2010, 07:57 PM
3rd Gear

Well the tensioner is what normally makes it tight so don't know why is tight already. If you marked the spots and aligned them to the Top Dead Center then it should be ok to move the crank back to the marking, after all, that's what the mark is there for.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by m0nkey
Hey guys im in the same boat as the OP im stuck right here.

I was trying to put on the the timing belt and where you put the 19mm 12 point the pulley moved and its out of aligned. My question is it safe to move it back without the timing belt attach? it moved counter clockwise can i just go back counter close wise or i have to go clockwise?

also do you guys have any tips on how tips on how to put on the belt its very tight i seems like i have to stretch the belt a little
Monkey, I've done that myself and I can tell you that its totally okay to move it just by a little bit to put the mark back. As far as the belt goes, as long as you marked the original belt and transfered it over, you should be fine. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

Hi all

I followed that guide to replace my belt, and found it extremely useful.
However, my engine turns over ( ignition ) extremely easily....no indication at all as if it's going to start.....it just "spins" as if there's absolutely no resistance...
I've read somewhere that this could happen if the timing's even out by a tooth....makes sense, but shouldn't there still be some "chatter", instead of this "whine" from the engine?
I've checked the belt to see if everything IS turning....it is.
*Note* my timing belt snapped due to a seized hydraulic piston in the tensioner.

Any pointers on where to start would be most appreciated.

Thanks
L