B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

2005.5 A4 2.0t Fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005.5 A4 2.0t Fuel pressure problem

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I got a CEL on about a year ago and my car would not go past 3k RPM, so I brought it in to a German repair shop. I ended up having the fuel code p2293. It ended up being my HPFP which I got replaced. That fixed that, however, after they replaced it I still had code p310b. Took it back to the same placed and they replaced the following:
1. Low pressure fuel pump (3 times to make sure I didn't have faulty one)
2. Fuel filter (twice to make sure it wasn't faulty)
3. Fuel pressure control module that is above the LPFP
4. Fuel pressure sensor

I still have a check engine light and they basically told me they I have no idea. I was out of options so I took it to the dealer, left it there for 3.5 hours of diagnostic time where they supposedly checked everything including the wiring. They told me they have no idea also. I'm completely out of options and I can't pass inspection with that light on in my state.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Certified

There is a whole update for the high pressure fuel problem. The pump , intake camshaft , piston & chain tensioner all get replaced , not just the pump. You might want to try a different shop fimiliar with Audi's.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

When I got the pump replaced they also did all that, sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post. I've taken it to 3 different German repair shops, and the dealer. I still have the code p310b.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I had the same 310b CEL on my 2006. It ended up being the lpfp, in the gas tank, under the rear passenger seat. I used Vagcom to check the low pressure fuel values at idle, which should be around 5 bar. The duty cycle of the pump at this point should be well below 70%. Mine was 5.1 bar and 54% with the new pump and 4.4 bar and 76% with the old pump. If you can verify these values with Vagcom it will rule out the fuel pump, and/or its' connections ( I know it's new ) .

If you changed the HPFP and LP sensor then they should not be what is causing the problem. The other possibility is a worn cam shaft follower, or worn cam lobe that the HPFP piston rides on. I assume they checked that when they replaced the HPFP.

The other possibility is a blockage somewhere in the fuel system. Could be a hose kinked or bent. Again, you would see this with Vagcom, looking at low pressure fuel values. If you are not throwing evap codes, it is probably not a leak.

I have found that Vagcom is a must with these cars, just too many systems to try and trouble shoot without some help to point you in the right direction. This code is a royal PITA, I hope you can get it solved.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cfidave
I had the same 310b CEL on my 2006. It ended up being the lpfp, in the gas tank, under the rear passenger seat. I used Vagcom to check the low pressure fuel values at idle, which should be around 5 bar. The duty cycle of the pump at this point should be well below 70%. Mine was 5.1 bar and 54% with the new pump and 4.4 bar and 76% with the old pump. If you can verify these values with Vagcom it will rule out the fuel pump, and/or its' connections ( I know it's new ) .

If you changed the HPFP and LP sensor then they should not be what is causing the problem. The other possibility is a worn cam shaft follower, or worn cam lobe that the HPFP piston rides on. I assume they checked that when they replaced the HPFP.

The other possibility is a blockage somewhere in the fuel system. Could be a hose kinked or bent. Again, you would see this with Vagcom, looking at low pressure fuel values. If you are not throwing evap codes, it is probably not a leak.

I have found that Vagcom is a must with these cars, just too many systems to try and trouble shoot without some help to point you in the right direction. This code is a royal PITA, I hope you can get it solved.
Thanks for the reply. I am bringing it in Thursday to a place to have them look at everything again. I find it hard to believe that it's a low pressure fuel pump issue. I've had 4 total in my car to make sure it wasn't the LPFP.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default same here

I'm just wandering what has happened how the story finished?
I just have the same issue. :/

At the moment it takes quite some time to (like 10 min.) build up the pressure to normal.

but at the beginning, on cold start it is low :/

I changed sensor... and filter... and as long as I know my pump that is located under back seat is comparatively new (updated version with three pips instead of two)

pump it self is quite expensive, I've been quoted 580$ with labor

so want to be sure that pump will solve my problem

Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by achikuda
I'm just wandering what has happened how the story finished?
I just have the same issue. :/

At the moment it takes quite some time to (like 10 min.) build up the pressure to normal.

but at the beginning, on cold start it is low :/

I changed sensor... and filter... and as long as I know my pump that is located under back seat is comparatively new (updated version with three pips instead of two)

pump it self is quite expensive, I've been quoted 580$ with labor

so want to be sure that pump will solve my problem
Hey it ended up being the low pressure fuel pump. After it getting replaced 3 times, I took it to a place near my house who said it had to be low pressure pump. I told them it has been replaced 3 times and looked at again to make sure it wasn't that pump, but they still said it was faulty. They replaced it (this is my 4th one) and the light hasn't come back on.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
There is a whole update for the high pressure fuel problem. The pump , intake camshaft , piston & chain tensioner all get replaced , not just the pump. You might want to try a different shop fimiliar with Audi's.
hi, do you know if there is a way to test the fuel pump module? Mine is a 06 A4 2T Fwd. Thenk you!