B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

To Align or Not To Align? That Is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default To Align or Not To Align? That Is the Question.

My CPO warranty ends 02/29/14 (17 days from now), so I had the Audi dealership go over the entire car to look for anything that may need attention and hopefully be covered under CPO.

I had mentioned there were some noises from the front suspension and turns out they found the upper front control arm bushings were bad.

My question(s) are these:

Don't they have to do a bunch of things including removing the shock tower to replace the upper front control arm bushings, so shouldn't they also replace the upper REAR control arm bushings while there at it? I know things should be replaced in pairs most of the time.

Also, am I going to need an alignment after the upper control arms are replaced? And if so should the alignment be covered under the CPO?

Car is at dealer now, hoping for quick responses. Thanks guys.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

im not sure about this but i assume they are gonna do as little work as possible if its covered under warranty. i mean, you arent paying for it so they arent gonna bother to use extra time and parts unless they deem it necessary. as for the alignment, i would hope its included because that would def. be needed after that major teardown/repair. def. ask and try to get it included for free if it isnt already

Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

for the same reason (save time and money), the dealer wont check or replace the fuel pump cam follower unless you have a problem with it, even thou they acknowledge the issue and extended the warranty for those parts.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

p.s. i think it goes without saying that proper alignment is very important, especially if you have quattro. i had my car done at the dealer about two years ago because i noticed some wobble/vibration at highway speeds. they were actually relatively cheap ($90) because i have quattro and therefore needed a shop/dealer that could do a four wheel drive alignment. the tires were only slightly off but it made a huge difference.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Was able speak with my SA at Audi, update:

They are replacing just the upper front control arm bushings under CPO warranty. I'm thinking maybe I'll call back and see if they could replace the rear upper control bushings at a reduced rate since there in there already. I asked if it was necessary to remove strut tower and whatnot. He seemed to suggested it was quite simple, his words were "we are able to just lower the strut and pop out the old bushings".

Found out just now they are replacing the entire power steering rack too under CPO coverage. They said it was sticking, whatever that means.

In case I didn't mention it is a 2008 Audi A4 2.0T, CVT tranny, cabriolet, w/ 31,000 miles. I bought it November '08 at Champion Audi with 7,000 miles with CPO coverage. Car was never titled, only used at dealership.

Window sticker new was $41,500, priced @ $39,900 CPO on dealer lot. I paid $31,500. One stipulation was I had to finance $7,000 of price to get the $31,500 deal. So I did. Found out there was no prepayment penalty so I paid off the load the second month in full.

This is the first major issues I've had with the car in 5.5 years on ownership. Considering what I paid, and CPO coverage, I'm happy.

Knock on wood! Let's see what happens post CPO coverage.