B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

auto trans cooler pressure hose leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:39 PM
1st Gear
Default auto trans cooler pressure hose leak!

Hey guys im a little concerned that my trans is gone on my automatic 2006 audi a4 quattro 2.0t. It all started when my friend and I left to go to the gym and on are way we hoped on the highway to get there and before we got to the highway I felt a couple slips here and there. Leaving the gym it got worse and all the lights on my PRNDS was lit up. So I parked the car at my friends house and after I left to go home(about 3 miles) my friend called me and said I left a trail and puddle of trans fluid leaving his house and getting to my house was a miracle because the car wouldn't allow me to go change gears easily so I kept the speed low enough that my trans wasn't gonna eat up itself. Based on my story what do you think is the likely outcome of this? I did find the issue too, it was the pressure hose leak rubbing on a pointy piece of plastic and mileage is 100k.

Thanks fellas for the help

Old 02-26-2016, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

plus will changing the trans filter make my trans slip or is it a good idea to replace it?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

I have read other posts where they do not recommend changing the fluid as it could cause other issues. In those cases the cars currently are not having issues. In your case I think a flush and filter change needs to be done. Mainly to see if the driving you did caused any damage. When changing the fluid check for metal bits in it. If you lost all (or most of your fluid) then I would also recommend flushing some fluid through the trans to pick up any bits that might be in there. Hopefully there is no damage and you will be good to go after that.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
I have read other posts where they do not recommend changing the fluid as it could cause other issues. In those cases the cars currently are not having issues. In your case I think a flush and filter change needs to be done. Mainly to see if the driving you did caused any damage. When changing the fluid check for metal bits in it. If you lost all (or most of your fluid) then I would also recommend flushing some fluid through the trans to pick up any bits that might be in there. Hopefully there is no damage and you will be good to go after that.
This is good advice. I would definitely change/flush a bit/replace the fluid.

Even though Audi says no service, I think that's stupid. Fluid WILL break down when exposed to the heat and regular abuse of being inside a transmission. However, if you have high mileage, already have issues, or the fluid is in really bad shape, it absolutely can cause more damage to change it than just letting it be. It's just a judgement call. I had mine changed around 80k because they inspected it and said it didn't look bad. I was having the surging/TQ issue and changing the fluid/filter is a first step to properly diagnosing that one (in my case, it didn't really help with that issue).

Last edited by KingWulfgar; 02-29-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for ur help, will know that outcome this Friday as I'm waiting for the parts to come in