B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Sump Removal (6 Speed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Sump Removal (6 Speed)

Hi all

I have a query regarding the removal of my sump on my A4 2.0L TDI Engine. The haynes manual states that the engine must be removed to do this on the 6 speed model, is this true? I havent read this before on any of the forums.

Is it possible to remove the sump on the 6 speed A4 by dropping the subframe?

Cheers for your help

Tony

Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear sump bolts

Hi, Ive got an A4 Avant, 2.0TD on with the BLB engine and 6 speed box. The usual oil pump failure. Ive got as far as taking most of the sump bolts off and dropping the cross member but Ive also now read that I cant take the sump off without taking the engine out of the car. Ive seen a video on Youtube with the two rear sump bolts coming into contact with the flywheel with no cut outs to allow bolt removal, however the gent that posted the video goes on to say that the bolts came out. He doesn't say how and I cant see how. Anyone able to help? Cheers

Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

What was the outcome of this ??? does the engine need to come out ???

Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM
1st Gear
Default sump

I have also started to strip my car as the dreaded oil pressure warning light came on. It had been rattling on tick over so i'm assuming its chain drive sprockets/tensioner that is fubar, although i want to convert it to gear driven and modify the balance shaft key way to take the 100 mm hex key. As mentioned the (Haynes) manual says you need the engine out and fly wheel/clutch off too. People say you don't but after looking at mine (6 speed) i can assure you that it does. My sump has 2 half moon cut outs which line up with 2 cutouts with the bell housing. You can see the two remaining 10mm bolts but they are well and truly underneath the ring gear of the fly wheel. I turned the fly wheel to see if a slot appears in the fly wheel for me to access the bolts but no joy.... Or am I missing something ???

Howie.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Update.... was getting ready to pull out the engine when i read somewhere this guy had managed to get a 5mm long series ball ended allen key on to the two remaining 10mm bolts through the slots on the sump/bell housing. so i tried, and YES they came out, i was astonished. So the answer to previous questions is that the engine does NOT need removal to remove to sump pan on an audi A4 2005 2.0 tdi BLB code, 6 speed gearbox. Dont get me wrong its not the easiest job i have done so therefore im leaving nothing to chance. I have purchased a re manufactured complete unit and upgraded from chain drive to gear drive. They supply balance shaft and pump assembly with new balance shafts, hex key and pump. Also supply pump gear, idler gear and new crankshaft gear. I will do the timing belt while i'm in there too.