B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

which is the best B7

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default which is the best B7

Well I'm in the market for an A4 that will replace my current fully built Mazdaspeed Protege. I'm debating between 2.0 or 3.2 I know manual, AWD is a must as well as a sunroof. Either one I get will get an exhaust and chip for sure. But since the 2.0 is already 50 HP less will it be able to really catch up to the 3.2 with only exhaust amd chip. I really don't want to go all out on the Audi since going all out is whats made my MSP not a very good daily driver for Chicago winters. Also I have a very good line on YellowSpeed Coilovers for the Audi, so would I be better to find an S-line or just upgrade the suspension with coilovers or just upgraded springs?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

If money and MPG wasn't a concern I would have bought an 2008 S-Line with the Titanium package, AWD, 3.2, Navigation, Bose sound system upgrade, heated front seat option, one of the nice wood interior options, and the CONVENIENCE package. Get that package, it has the HID headlights, the built in garage door openers, daytime running lights, auto on dusk headlights, auto sensing wipers, ect. That's one must that my car had to have. For some stupid reason the only way to get driver memory seats was to get the 3.2. So that's lame, but I found a write up on how to add it to a 2.0 car so I'm going to be doing that sometime this year. And as a plus for you, ALL B7 Audi's have sunroofs so you don't need to worry about that one.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear

The more options you can get factory will prevent the "wish I had" problems. With that said I have the 2.0 AWD true S-line and I was willing to settle on everything but the AWD, S-Line Package (I have no plans to update the suspension), and in my case automatic. My understanding is a chip can add 50+hp easy, but there are others here that can better address that. If you are going to upgrade the suspension then an S-Line isn't required although you do get some added goodies (three spoke steering wheel, door sill plates, etc). If you are wanting to have the ability to mod the 2.0 has a lot more options.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
The more options you can get factory will prevent the "wish I had" problems. With that said I have the 2.0 AWD true S-line and I was willing to settle on everything but the AWD, S-Line Package (I have no plans to update the suspension), and in my case automatic. My understanding is a chip can add 50+hp easy, but there are others here that can better address that. If you are going to upgrade the suspension then an S-Line isn't required although you do get some added goodies (three spoke steering wheel, door sill plates, etc). If you are wanting to have the ability to mod the 2.0 has a lot more options.
My '06 has the three-spoke wheel.

My requirements where:
1) < 50k miles
2) heated seats
3) Quattro
4) Automatic (wife doesn't drive a stick)
5) 2.0T
6) not black or white

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
My '06 has the three-spoke wheel.
Does it have the S-line package or was it added afterward? I read that it could be added, but unlikely as the cost to get the little S-line badged steering wheel wasn't really worth it. I do like the three spoke wheel better than the four (probably becuase I have one )

Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

All great info keep it coming!!!
I found a chip for the 3.2 that says it raises the HP to 280 I figure with a set of upgraded headers and full exhaust along with that chip I should be able to really see 280hp. so the major thing is will an exhaust and chipped 2.0t beable to make 280hp easily and reliably. Also since there is a weight difference will it even matter. My current mazdaspeed Protege flys and is very light on her feet, but far from reliable at this point. Its basically a race car and requires frequent attention, like bolts needing to be tightened bi monthly ect. I know I want a black interior with metallic dash trim I would love the suede seats and dark grey or black exterior, and low miles. so it looks like the 3.2 s-line titanium package might be the ticket

Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
Does it have the S-line package or was it added afterward? I read that it could be added, but unlikely as the cost to get the little S-line badged steering wheel wasn't really worth it. I do like the three spoke wheel better than the four (probably becuase I have one )
No S-line. All the '06s I looked at had the 3-spoke wheel. From what I understand, they used the 3-spoke wheel in all the A4s until the 2007 model year. I don't think it was added, but I bought it used.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by zuku26
All great info keep it coming!!!
I found a chip for the 3.2 that says it raises the HP to 280 I figure with a set of upgraded headers and full exhaust along with that chip I should be able to really see 280hp. so the major thing is will an exhaust and chipped 2.0t beable to make 280hp easily and reliably. Also since there is a weight difference will it even matter. My current mazdaspeed Protege flys and is very light on her feet, but far from reliable at this point. Its basically a race car and requires frequent attention, like bolts needing to be tightened bi monthly ect. I know I want a black interior with metallic dash trim I would love the suede seats and dark grey or black exterior, and low miles. so it looks like the 3.2 s-line titanium package might be the ticket
After chipping the 3.2, at that point you're pretty much stuck. There's a lot more that can be done to the 2.0T after chipping.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear

You will never see more than about 10hp on that 3.2 with chipping or any bolt on. If you want any power at all get a 2.0t and read my sticky up top.

These cars are tanks and will require some mods to get moving but you will be very dissapointed in a 3.2 as there is no where to go with it. If you are happy with a stock car then it is a fine engine. There is no way anybody has gotton 280 out of that motor with a chip and bolt ons. They are lying.

Read the sticky. Also ggod luck finding a Titanium as they are hard to get.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Certified

I see and drive B7's all day long. My favorite..... the only one i want.

is 3.2 S line 6speed.......... The engine is more reliable anyday than a 2.0t. Sure the potential to build a race car is easier with the turbo..... But if you were really going to build a race car... you would buy a S4.

I will honestly vouch and say stock vs stock you will NOT be disappointed with the 3.2 S line.