B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Fluid leak in trunk, not water

Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Fluid leak in trunk, not water

On a recent trip back home we put some luggage in the trunk. After a long 5 hour drive we finally got to our destination. Upon taking the luggage out I noticed that one of the cloth bags had a corner that literally disintegrated. I thought maybe I spilt some glass cleaner, or maybe windshield washer fluid on the mat and it soaked into the bag and had a reaction. I took the mat out and decided to wash it, and instead found the real source of the mystery acid. In the back right corner there seems to me a sealed lid about 8 inches in diameter ( from memory so not sure how accurate that is). The car is pre owned and it would seem the previous owner knew of this leak as well because there was old newspaper layed over the lid to soak up the leak, which in turn had made the newspaper so fragile that as soon as you touch the paper it falls apart.

What is this lid and what fluid is in there? I haven't had the time to check myself and I can't buy a new seal without knowing what the "compartment" is called. And by check myself I mean, take the lid off.

Anyone have any idea?

Last edited by EDieter; 01-23-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EDieter
On a recent trip back home we put some luggage in the trunk. After a long 5 hour drive we finally got to our destination. Upon taking the luggage out I noticed that one of the cloth bags had a corner that literally disintegrated. I thought maybe I spilt some glass cleaner, or maybe windshield washer fluid on the mat and it soaked into the bag and had a reaction. I took the mat out and decided to wash it, and instead found the real source of the mystery acid. In the back right corner there seems to me a sealed lid about 8 inches in diameter ( from memory so not sure how accurate that is). The car is pre owned and it would seem the previous owner knew of this leak as well because there was old newspaper layed over the lid to soak up the leak, which in turn had made the newspaper so fragile that as soon as you touch the paper it falls apart.

What is this lid and what fluid is in there? I haven't had the time to check myself and I can't buy a new seal without knowing what the "compartment" is called. And by check myself I mean, take the lid off.

Anyone have any idea?
Can you get a picture of what you're talking about and where its at in relation in the trunk? Regardless, there should be no fluid of any sorts in the trunk unless you or the previous owner put something there. You should get that out of your trunk asap. Wouldn't want it to start corroding anymore.