B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Frustrated

So my 2008 Audi A4 was stolen I get it bk and I switched out the ignition with a ignition I got from a pick n pull with the key and put them in my Audi. In hopes that it wouldn’t get stolen again. But now it’s in safe mode the car turns over but acts as if it has a dead battery and the word safe is shown at the odometer reader. The car can also comes on even if the key isn’t in the ignition. Someone plz help me

Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

You need a vagcom. Or a dealership can do it

Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Found this too it might work

1. Disconnect battery & connect leads with a jumper wire. Wait 5-10 minutes.
2. Reconnect battery, place key in ignition & initiate reprogramming sequence.
3. Sequence = turn key to "ON" position only, wait 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

* I also pressed the unlock buttons, both on the fob while in the ignition & the door button.
Held each for 5-10 seconds while key was "ON", both individually & together during each "on-off" sequence.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Feeling hopeful

So I’m doing the sequence now let u know in ten mins thank u so much u r my hero
Originally Posted by Taytayandand
Found this too it might work

1. Disconnect battery & connect leads with a jumper wire. Wait 5-10 minutes.
2. Reconnect battery, place key in ignition & initiate reprogramming sequence.
3. Sequence = turn key to "ON" position only, wait 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

* I also pressed the unlock buttons, both on the fob while in the ignition & the door button.
Held each for 5-10 seconds while key was "ON", both individually & together during each "on-off" sequence.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Feeling hopeless

thank you but it didn’t work found out on top of all my problems the was water in my fuses and Ecu compartment so I dried it all out put other fuses in there and going to try again the sequence

Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear

The key needs to be programmed to your car. Right now the car is trying to detect the key and is preventing it from starting as it thinks someone is trying to steal it. Programing the key is a dealer only option. The procedure above works to re-program the buttons on the remote.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Ah ok thanks for clarifying Rhodes. You happen to know if that works on a b6 s4 as well? Need to reprogram my buttons on my s4

Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Taytayandand
Ah ok thanks for clarifying Rhodes. You happen to know if that works on a b6 s4 as well? Need to reprogram my buttons on my s4
If the key starts the car and you just need to reprogram the buttons on the remote than it should work as described above. I also found the below if you have multiple keys:

How to program your Audi flip key fob.

I have done a ton of searching and found how to accurately program a key fob on the forums. The problem with all the directions that I had found was that once I programmed one key fob, the others would erase. None of the directions showed all the steps to program more than one key correctly without losing the others (which most people will have). This DIY has the correct programing procedure no matter how many fobs you have.

For some reason if you pull your battery or you change the battery in your fob you might be finding a situation where you need to do this programming.

There are two kinds of programming. If you have remotes that have been programmed to the car previously the steps are easy. There are longer steps if the keys are new and those are the secondary ones.

Steps to reprogram keys to a car they are already linked to:
1. Press and hold the unlock key on a remote
2. Insert key in ignition and turn to on (while still holding unlock)
3. Hold unlock while in the on position for 2 seconds
4. Turn key to off, remove from ignition and release button.

Do this for each remote. Relink to seat positions (press and hold mem position #, then unlock button for 2 seconds and release both) and done.

To program new remotes on a car never linked to previously:

1. Take a key (valet key works best, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, so the dashboard lights come on.
2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).
3. Exit the car and close the door.
4. With a second key, physically lock the doors by turning the key clockwise (don't use a remote).
5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press the unlock button. The lights will flash once.
6. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have only one key skip to step 16. Otherwise continue to step 7.***

7. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
8. Press the unlock button two times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of two flashes.
9. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have three keys proceed to step 10. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

10. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
11. Press the unlock button three times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of three flashes.
12. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The third transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have four keys proceed to step 13. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

13. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
14. Press the unlock button four times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of four flashes.
15. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The fourth transmitter is now programmed.

16. Remove the key from the ignition.

Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition since this exits the programming process. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode.

I had some difficulty accessing the programming mode. If it doesn't work then take the key out of the ignition and start over. Rinse lather repeat. It will go eventually.

If you are still having problems after trying it more times than you can count, check the key is right one for year of car or that the key and battery are good.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Can confirm what Rhodes991 said, if key is programmed to car and plip/remote keyfob isn't working (because battery has been disconnected in my case)

Hold unlock button on keyfob, insert into ignition, key to position one for 2 seconds, ignition off, release unlock button. Press keyfob button to test, should now work.

Also agree that getting a key coded to the car is dealer only job, the transponder must be registered with the ECU.
As Rhodes eluded to, the car is still looking for the transponder from the old key.

Just adding my two cents while I'm lurking.