B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Headers red hot!!! is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Headers red hot!!! is this normal?

Hey everyone i have a 2008 a4 2.0t quattro 6mt with an intake and a forge dv spacer. i just installed the dv spacer yesterday and i drove it a lot today and last night so the ecu should have adjusted to it however tonight when i got home after driving pretty hard, i popped the hood to take a quick look and make sure the heat shield for the intake i made and installed yesterday was still in place, when i noticed that my headers were glowing bright orange! it was dusk and the sun was almost fully down, i don't think u could have seen the glow if it was still light out. i just want to know if this is normal or if my turbo is getting too hot and i need to fix something. any ideas?....it was funny my heat shield isn't painted yet just raw aluminum so i saw the orange reflection and at first thought my engine was on fire cause it looked like a big area that was glowing orange!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audikid89
Hey everyone i have a 2008 a4 2.0t quattro 6mt with an intake and a forge dv spacer. i just installed the dv spacer yesterday and i drove it a lot today and last night so the ecu should have adjusted to it however tonight when i got home after driving pretty hard, i popped the hood to take a quick look and make sure the heat shield for the intake i made and installed yesterday was still in place, when i noticed that my headers were glowing bright orange! it was dusk and the sun was almost fully down, i don't think u could have seen the glow if it was still light out. i just want to know if this is normal or if my turbo is getting too hot and i need to fix something. any ideas?....it was funny my heat shield isn't painted yet just raw aluminum so i saw the orange reflection and at first thought my engine was on fire cause it looked like a big area that was glowing orange!
This is not a normal condition and I suspect the mod that you made has caused the problem. Sounds like the result of a lean mixture . If you had not made the mod I would have suspected a bad cat but I would go back and look at the mod before you blow the engine. Do you have any codes?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

I've seen videos of the 2.0T exhaust manifold glowing during dyno tests.