B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Knocking noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Knocking noises

any ideas , i've recently purchased my 1st audi , driven bmw for 5 years so used to the hard ride of run flats , but the 58 audi a4 tdi s line ive just brought is pants and will get shot if cant sort out the knocks and rattles , i get a knock/metallic clunk when driving over uneven ground or pot holes at any speed . sounds like front and rear knock , it actually sounds like its coming from the doors , like the strikers are not adjusted in enough causing the locks and strikers to rattle , but doors seem to tight when closed , this sound familiar to any one , also i get a squeak type suspension noise over bumps not sure if front or rear if any one knows if these a4's suffer from bad suspension component wear please let me know , there is also alot of general cabin noise/rattle type horrible stuff going on inside the car as if trims etc are loose , is this normal or should i set the sat nav to turn around and select cash back option !! ??? cheers to any wizards that might be able to help out a new b . dunka

Old 05-08-2015, 01:51 PM
1st Gear
Default knocking noises

I had a similar issue as well. It turns out it was my sway bar on the rear end. It came out of the end link via a bad bolt. Also have squeaking but I'm not sure what that is.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear

Squeaks especially turning at low speeds may be upper control arm bushings. Mine were shot and squeaked for about the last year. I finally just had all my upper arms replaced. It's a pretty common Audi wear point.

My interior is mostly tight. I get a small rattle from the light panel in the middle of the front of the ceiling and at times my passenger seat belt buckle rattles like crazy, but I just tap on the light panel and pull the passenger seat up a bit so it pinches the seat belt buckle and everything's good. Mostly I get those at idle and in the winter when everything is cold and shrinks a bit.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
Squeaks especially turning at low speeds may be upper control arm bushings. Mine were shot and squeaked for about the last year. I finally just had all my upper arms replaced. It's a pretty common Audi wear point.

My interior is mostly tight. I get a small rattle from the light panel in the middle of the front of the ceiling and at times my passenger seat belt buckle rattles like crazy, but I just tap on the light panel and pull the passenger seat up a bit so it pinches the seat belt buckle and everything's good. Mostly I get those at idle and in the winter when everything is cold and shrinks a bit.
I get that same rattle in the overhead light on the roof, I just smack it and it seems to go away for the day. My drivers door speaker has a rattle to it during the right songs with a certain amount of bass. And no I don't have my bass turned way up, I could care less about a fancy booming stereo system