B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Need to replace headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default Need to replace headlight bulb

I had my first light go out today (not bad after over three years with the car). It looks like I might be able to replace the bulbs (going to do both while I am at it) with out removing the bumper. Couple of questions:

1. Has anyone changed the bulbs without removing the bumper? Looks like it might be a tight squeeze. I am leaning towards removing the bumper just to make it easier.

2. Should I replace all the bulbs while I am in there (if I take the bumper off)? To me it seems like the smart thing to do.

3. Any recommendations on type of replacement bulbs? I know the replacement is an H7 bulb. Sylvania has like four or five different options from the standard bulb to a HID looking halogen bulb.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

My driver's side bulb was replaced by the dealership just before I bought the car. I replaced the passenger side from the back (removed the air duct and moved the box out of the way). It was a giant pain mostly because I couldn't see which way the tabs went (they're a triangle, so the bulb only goes in one way). From what I understand, the driver's side can be done that way as well, but you have to relocate the power steering fluid reservoir temporarily. If you want to do both, I think removing the bumper cover is probably the better option.

I don't remember what replacement I got--I think just the standard bulb at O'Reilly. The first time, I abused the bulb so much (and probably got finger oil on it) that it only lasted a week or two and I had to redo it. The second one stuck, though, and is still going strong.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

i'll tell ya the factory lights suck *** to replace. i have a 2008 A4 and the plastic tabs started to become brittle and cracked or broke off. i hate the factory system because it requires so much pressure to seat the new bulbs and is near impossible for adult male hands to fit without major removal. i was finally able to do it without removal of anything by loosening the three top bolts, you'll need a long narrow T30 screwdriver thou. i would recommend a long lasting bulb at whichever brightness/color you desire. dont try to cheap out if you dont want to replace them again soon.

in my opinion, if you're willing to take off the bumper (a PITA to me) look into upgrading to HID/projector housings. i got a plug n play pair with leds and hid bulbs/ballasts for around $400. they look great and its easier to change the bulbs too, simple spring latch, not pressure fit.
HID Xenon + 06-08 Audi A4 / S4 LED DRL R8 Style Projector Headlights - Chrome

Old 03-17-2016, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

Will replace with a good quality bulb that is for sure. I have thought about changing out the headlights as well. Just not sure how to explain a set of $400 head lights to the wife Wait, I know "Honey, it is an Audi you have to buy the whole headlight". That might work!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

Lol, and mention that it's for better visibility and safety

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

Okay, went ahead and replaced all the bulbs this weekend. Removing the bumper wasn't too bad. Having the right tools is important. I did struggle a little with the headlight bolt that you access through the pass through hole. I didn't have a driver and used a socket with extension. It was so tight in there it was hard to get the bit into torx bolt. Finally got it though. During the process I found out that my grill had been broken and I know when it happened. I was following a truck with construction debris and a piece of drywall (I think) blew out and hit the front of my car on Friday morning. Didn't think anything of it until I got the bumper off. Now I need to find a replacement grill (that isn't $500)! You really can't tell unless you get up close to look. I know though so it will drive me nuts every time I wash the car.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by imaudi5000
i'll tell ya the factory lights suck *** to replace. i have a 2008 A4 and the plastic tabs started to become brittle and cracked or broke off. i hate the factory system because it requires so much pressure to seat the new bulbs and is near impossible for adult male hands to fit without major removal. i was finally able to do it without removal of anything by loosening the three top bolts, you'll need a long narrow T30 screwdriver thou. i would recommend a long lasting bulb at whichever brightness/color you desire. dont try to cheap out if you dont want to replace them again soon.

in my opinion, if you're willing to take off the bumper (a PITA to me) look into upgrading to HID/projector housings. i got a plug n play pair with leds and hid bulbs/ballasts for around $400. they look great and its easier to change the bulbs too, simple spring latch, not pressure fit.
HID Xenon + 06-08 Audi A4 / S4 LED DRL R8 Style Projector Headlights - Chrome
Hey, question about your lights. Were they all wired up and ready to go or did you have to wire the ballast into the car? Still want to get a set and may put them on my Christmas for the wife this year!

Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

i really should update my profile with some recent pics, and unfortunately my car is in the shop for awhile, burned exhaust valve

anyway, the lights are great. the install is super easy, not counting the bumper, and nothing is permanent. the assemblies are ready to go, leds all wired and what not. it comes with halogen bulbs and turn signals. if you add the HID kit with it, i think they come installed, or you just plug it all together before you put it in the car. i added the error canceling boxes just to be certain. the whole assembly then plugs into the factory harness and you can mount the ballast wherever you want. the website has a decent video but doesnt show it with HID lights. and fyi, the leds only turn on with the parking lights when the key is in

Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by imaudi5000
i really should update my profile with some recent pics, and unfortunately my car is in the shop for awhile, burned exhaust valve

anyway, the lights are great. the install is super easy, not counting the bumper, and nothing is permanent. the assemblies are ready to go, leds all wired and what not. it comes with halogen bulbs and turn signals. if you add the HID kit with it, i think they come installed, or you just plug it all together before you put it in the car. i added the error canceling boxes just to be certain. the whole assembly then plugs into the factory harness and you can mount the ballast wherever you want. the website has a decent video but doesnt show it with HID lights. and fyi, the leds only turn on with the parking lights when the key is in

Not to get off topic, but have they found out the reason for the burnt exhaust valve. They just don't burn by themselves. Hopefully they have the answer or this will just happen again down the road. Good luck

OP: get slyvania You won't be seeing a big difference.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chapstick
Not to get off topic, but have they found out the reason for the burnt exhaust valve. They just don't burn by themselves. Hopefully they have the answer or this will just happen again down the road. Good luck

OP: get slyvania You won't be seeing a big difference.
Just got the car back a few days ago. They said it was a faulty fuel injector. Cylinder 2 looked way different than the others, like too clean or something. So they replaced the valve, injector, gaskets etc