B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

New A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
Wow, an inch and a half drop seems like a lot to me. I'll have to think on it. I really like these wheels, but I'm unsure of fit, sizing, and final results.

PS - Glad to have another active member around. The forum has been a bit dormant lately.
Ohhhhh, I like those wheels! Lots of spokes to clean though. I have the S-line 18 inchers on my car and like them well enough. Really would like to make a change, but man wheels are expensive (at least the ones I like)!

Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
Ohhhhh, I like those wheels! Lots of spokes to clean though. I have the S-line 18 inchers on my car and like them well enough. Really would like to make a change, but man wheels are expensive (at least the ones I like)!
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay what I imagine the price is. I'd get the gunmetal ones, so cleaning wouldn't be too much of an issue. My Akebono pads barely dust at all, so my wheels tend to stay pretty clean.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Wow, an inch and a half drop seems like a lot to me. I'll have to think on it. I really like these wheels, but I'm unsure of fit, sizing, and final results.

Here you go. Ross-Tech Store: VCDS VAGCOM/VCDS is the best tool for diagnosing issues and tweaking parameters. It's a bit pricey, but the amount of data you can get out of the car's computer seems to make it worth it. Back in the day, I used the Lite (free) version and a cheap knock off cable to reconfigure a few things (euro style headlights, key fob up/down, seat belt chime), but since then, my Windows laptop has died and become obsolete so I need to work on getting that set back up before I jump on the full VCDS/Ross-Tech cable setup.

PS - Glad to have another active member around. The forum has been a bit dormant lately.
1 1/2" is fairly easy, and there is plenty of room, and since these cars were originally available with 19's the drop makes sense. I actually looked at the 810's, I found a set about 40 miles away from me that they were selling for $500, but the CB was wrong, came off a Jetta, (CB of 58 vs. 66 for B7), they looked good. What color is your A4? I narrowed my list down to these;

Personally, I am torn between the Niche Forged Apex and the Rotiform APX, although those Crave Mach 7 look sharp too... The Niche Sport are very similar to the V810's, and these renderings are of a lowered B7 with 19's.

I saw the lite version of VCDS, does it program much of the ECM or DCM parameters or is it pretty limited? (ECM and DCM are bimmer engine control and digital control modules, I am not sure what the B7 call these). I would like to do the basics, diags, tweek lights and bells, I assume the lite version does not calibrate fuel/air, shift points, etc...

Old 03-25-2016, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

I just don't want to bottom out on all the speedbumps. I also don't want to change the ride comfort level TOO much. I'm ok with it being a bit more aggressive, but it's such a smooth car, I'd hate to break that.

I have a silver A4 and currently have the standard wheels:
Name:  P1010386.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  93.5 KB

I like the idea of a dark finish wheel to contrast the silver and think 18" might be enough for me. Not sure I want to go to 19". Tire price and wear get fairly ridiculous at that size. I'm also a bit unsure about the spare. I've always heard it's bad to drive on a mismatched (outer circumference) tire on AWD vehicles. I guess I'd have to make sure the outer circumference was the same and replace the tire on that one. I dunno. So many options and I'm not too much of a DIYer. I can do simple stuff, but anything that requires me being under the car is not my forte.

I have a PDF I printed out of an old Audizine forum post about VCDSLite. If you PM me your email address and can handle a 2MB file, I will send it to you. You're right. It allows you to change some basic things, but to do anything really advanced, you need the real cable (it has a security dongle built in so that only their cable works properly).

Old 03-25-2016, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

I just don't want to bottom out on all the speedbumps. I also don't want to change the ride comfort level TOO much. I'm ok with it being a bit more aggressive, but it's such a smooth car, I'd hate to break that.
I have a PDF I printed out of an old Audizine forum post about VCDSLite. If you PM me your email address and can handle a 2MB file, I will send it to you. You're right. It allows you to change some basic things, but to do anything really advanced, you need the real cable (it has a security dongle built in so that only their cable works properly).
The H&R Sport springs have a "progressive spring rate" meaning they ride soft like OEM at regular drive but are suppose to act more aggressive the harder you push the car in the turns, I am installing them today so I will let you know.

As for mismatched tire sizes, you won't have to worry about that if you keep the outer circumference the same, here is a link to show that the stock 17" size and the 19" size I am planning on going to will look like. Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit As you can see I am actually loosing 9mm of circumference and 1.35mm in ride height. So yes, the 19" will fit perfectly.

PM sent.

Last edited by mgfranz; 03-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mgfranz

I like the first three and if I had to pick I would take the Mach 7 (and it wouldn't take any arm twisting). I like the first image next and the second image as last. They all looked pretty damn nice.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
I like the first three and if I had to pick I would take the Mach 7 (and it wouldn't take any arm twisting). I like the first image next and the second image as last. They all looked pretty damn nice.
I saw the Mach 7's on a new Camaro today and they looked sharp.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

We ended up going with a set of these...

19", still trying to find the right tire.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mgfranz
We ended up going with a set of these...

19", still trying to find the right tire.
Those were my favorites out of the ones you posted. How do you like those H&R (Sport?) springs? I keep going back and forth on H&R Sports vs. Eibach Pro Kit. I just can't decide. I like the extra lowering of the H&R, but am scared of a harsh ride and can't afford to do this twice.

I also have to replace my shocks at the same time (ouch).

Old 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Those were my favorites out of the ones you posted. How do you like those H&R (Sport?) springs? I keep going back and forth on H&R Sports vs. Eibach Pro Kit. I just can't decide. I like the extra lowering of the H&R, but am scared of a harsh ride and can't afford to do this twice.

I also have to replace my shocks at the same time (ouch).
The H&R Sports ride good, no noticeable harshness, handling improved nicely, seems quicker in response. The 1.5" drop looks nice but I wish the rear had another .5", no worries about speed bumps or anything so far. I still have a little bit of a rake, once I put the 19's on I will post pics. I didn't change the struts since they are still fine, but if I do change them Bilstein would be my choice. If you are thinking of doing springs and struts, they have a kit which include the Eibach springs. Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873 Or a fully adjustable kit, Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

I want to put Eibach's on the 650i but I can't comment on the difference just yet.