B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Is Regular Gas OK for A4 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is Regular Gas OK for A4 2.0T?

ORIGINAL: Noffy

I also wonder why people go and by a luxury car and then they want to put cheap gas, or cheap *** mods on it, That makes not sense. If you don't mind bad gas mileage, loss of power, sputtering, and shortened engine life put in the cheap gas. You can also save moeny but not changing the oil. It is not like the oil isn't still in the engine, why take it out and put in new?
I agree.. its stupid, the cost difference on a tank of gas is like 3 to 5 dollars, so for that money I would rather have something I can have peace of mind, good power and gas mileage, and no detonation if i push it hard. Fuel and tires are the most important parts of your car, skimp out on either and you are screwed.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
not only are you going to loose power(performance) you will loose gas mileage.... if you feel the need to use "cheap" gas, trade in your car that requires good gas and get a "cheap" car to put that cheap gas in.....

i don't understand why people buy good cars just to go cheap with them, also why your salesman, who must be an idiot would tell you.... yeh you can put crap in your tank, unless you were on the edge and he told you that to sway you........ then that is your fault and you should of stayed over the edge and bought that honda you wanted

Anyone else notice how the ones with the attitudes are also the least knowledgeable?

The salesman was correct when he told the guy the car can handle regular fuel - that doesn't make him an "idiot". And regular unleaded fuel isn't "crap". As long as you buy at a Top Tier station (meaning nearly any major brand - Shell, BP, Mobil, etc.) the unleaded fuel has the same level of detergents and additives as the premium grade (meaning much more than the minimum the auto manufacturers specify). The only difference is the lower octane which any modern engine from Audi, Mercedes, Mazda or BMW can detect and compensate for. Yes performance will take a hit (usually about 5 to 10% less hp) and fuel economy will take a hit (usually around 5 to 10% less mpg). In return, one saves 25% or more on fuel costs. That's a financial win for someone commuting back and forth to work. When one wants to hit the Canyon Roads on the weekend, one can just fill up with premium for the special occasions, knowing that it will cost about 33% more for the fuel to gain that 5 - 10% better performance and economy. (Regular unleaded is currently costing $3 versus about $4 for premium, meaning regular costs 25% less than premium and premium costs 33% more than unleaded).

One caveat: I don't trust my older Mercedes Benz (1995) to detect and compensate for lower grade fuel, so I always use premium in it, rather than gamble on 24 year old knock sensors to still be completely functional.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Subaru71
the cost difference on a tank of gas is like 3 to 5 dollars, .
Yes, if the tank is on a motorcycle. Premium is currently about a dollar per gallon more expensive. So it's more like $15 to $20 more per tank depending on the tank size.

Edit: I see I raised an old thread from the dead here - sorry about that. Perhaps back in 2008 it was only a 3 to 5 dollar difference. But not any more.

Came to this forum to do some research and learn about Audi A4 models because I am on the verge of buying one (a 2011 A4 with six speed manual).

Last edited by zautobahn; 07-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

Price difference is $0.40/gallon where I am at. That works out to about $6 per tank full (believe the A4 has a 15 gallon tank).

Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
Price difference is $0.40/gallon where I am at. That works out to about $6 per tank full (believe the A4 has a 15 gallon tank).
Wow - that's great! In the Chicago area and on most of my gas stops on a recent trip to Montana the difference was between .80 and a dollar per gallon.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
not only are you going to loose power(performance) you will loose gas mileage.... if you feel the need to use "cheap" gas, trade in your car that requires good gas and get a "cheap" car to put that cheap gas in.....

i don't understand why people buy good cars just to go cheap with them, also why your salesman, who must be an idiot would tell you.... yeh you can put crap in your tank, unless you were on the edge and he told you that to sway you........ then that is your fault and you should of stayed over the edge and bought that honda you wanted
What no ***** does to a mf

Old 04-24-2023, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by zautobahn
Anyone else notice how the ones with the attitudes are also the least knowledgeable?

The salesman was correct when he told the guy the car can handle regular fuel - that doesn't make him an "idiot". And regular unleaded fuel isn't "crap". As long as you buy at a Top Tier station (meaning nearly any major brand - Shell, BP, Mobil, etc.) the unleaded fuel has the same level of detergents and additives as the premium grade (meaning much more than the minimum the auto manufacturers specify). The only difference is the lower octane which any modern engine from Audi, Mercedes, Mazda or BMW can detect and compensate for. Yes performance will take a hit (usually about 5 to 10% less hp) and fuel economy will take a hit (usually around 5 to 10% less mpg). In return, one saves 25% or more on fuel costs. That's a financial win for someone commuting back and forth to work. When one wants to hit the Canyon Roads on the weekend, one can just fill up with premium for the special occasions, knowing that it will cost about 33% more for the fuel to gain that 5 - 10% better performance and economy. (Regular unleaded is currently costing $3 versus about $4 for premium, meaning regular costs 25% less than premium and premium costs 33% more than unleaded).

One caveat: I don't trust my older Mercedes Benz (1995) to detect and compensate for lower grade fuel, so I always use premium in it, rather than gamble on 24 year old knock sensors to still be completely functional.
WRONG. cheaper gas will speed up carbon buildup which affects your overall engine in general. I have an 07 a4 b7 and the owner before me was using cheap fuel, and low quality oil. Also instead of trying to sound knowledgeable, it is more knowledgeable to just look in your owners manual if you have the original or look it up online. A4 b7 07 specifically states 91 octane (93 if you can't find 91). The reason why these cars don't last long from dealers is because they were built with cheap plastic parts to nickel and dime you at service intervals. My mechanic always replaces my car parts with high quality parts like metal o-rings for my injectors instead of plastic ones that were broken. So instead of just saying things, how about we recommend the smart move to just check your owners manual and see what it says first. After that, you can go from there with your car. And if you want to be cheap on everything, get a ford.