B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Rough idle fix for A4 B7

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Rough idle fix for A4 B7

2006 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0

Im a first time Audi owner and I began having rough idle issues. I also began having RPM's surging from 1800-2000 while traviling between 25-45mph while the engine was cold. I changed the spark plugs and replaced the air filter and no change. I bought a new PCV valve from ESC tunning hoping it would fix my problem and no luck. But I found the solution to my problem and I am posting this hoping that I can help someone else out. bsh pcv revamp for the B7 2.0 is what fixed my rough idle and RPM surge. It was around $100 and worth every penny. Its an easy install, around 30 min for an avg mechanicly inclined person. If you purchase this item remember to place some lock tigh on the cap screws. If anyone has any questions about the revamp or installation please post and I will try to help in a timely mannor. Good luck friends!!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

This is a known fix, and is I'm the sticky.

Great item, I did the same thing

Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Toasted Coastie
This is a known fix, and is I'm the sticky.

Great item, I did the same thing
In the sticky. Damn iPhone auto correct...

Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi I seem to have the same problem but I only see the rpm's surging and no rough idle at all. I have the P revision PCV. What I do not understand is that if the PCV is shot why would the car behave strange only when its cold and fo rthe the first few minutes of driving and drive fine the rest of the day.

My car is at the dealer for the exact same problem and they have changed the PCV, the whole throttle body and the tranny fluid+TCM update. But still see the rpm's surging.

thanks

Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 AM
1st Gear
Default re: rough idle

"bsh pcv revamp " what is this thing, what does it look like and where does it go? I have the RPM issue, and the car idle when in gear at a stop has always vibrated like a harley at a stoplight for the past 40k miles.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 AM
1st Gear
Default re re:rough idle

Ok, read the sticky, I just had the PCV thingie replaced last year, what's up with that? Does this "bsh pcv revamp" thing function the same as the PCV set up it replaces? I'll be doing it soon I suppose, does not fixing it result in something bad? It has been surging since summer, maybe about 6k miles. Once warmed up it is good to go.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM
2nd Gear

It takes the place of the stock PCV. It appears to work slightly differently since you no longer use the accordion hose that goes between the PCV and the intake manifold. It will also never fail. It's all aluminum, so there's no plastic to degrade over time.

Here are the instructions for installing it so you can get an idea: http://www.namotorsports.net/docs/BHBSH20TPCV1.pdf

It's not hard to do--getting the clips/hoses off and back on were the hardest part because they're tight.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

I ordered mine on Saturday. Just awaiting it to arrive. Also changing my coil packs out then whatever is next in the sticky.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Just a quick couple of pointers when doing this:

Unplug the sensor closest to the PCV so you don't bust it.
Have vaseline on hand when reconecting the hose to the nipple.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by zsqure
Ok, read the sticky, I just had the PCV thingie replaced last year, what's up with that? Does this "bsh pcv revamp" thing function the same as the PCV set up it replaces? I'll be doing it soon I suppose, does not fixing it result in something bad? It has been surging since summer, maybe about 6k miles. Once warmed up it is good to go.
No is doesn't function the same way at all. Your going to push more oil into your turbo and intercooler system and its going to pool up in the hoses.

Your no longer venting crankcase pressure into the intake.... but into the valvetrain and into the turbo dump hose.

Fixed a problem permanently but you created another one.

Quick Reply: Rough idle fix for A4 B7