B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

2011 8 speed transmission experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

I just spoke to the Audi Service manager at the dealer. I described everything that happened and he said that definitely should not be happening and that is hopefully just a software update to fix. They are going to come pick up on Wednesday. Hopefully all will be resolved and I can switch to loving the car like I expected.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

With almost 1k miles now, I'm not noticing the shifting at low speeds anymore. I definitely don't have the violent stuttering as someone else mentioned.

The only thing I notice now, is when I start the car in the morning for the first time and put the the car in reverse, I can hear the tranny or what I think to be the tranny, making a whirling mechanical noise, almost like you can hear the gears churning. But once put into D the noise goes away. Its not loud, but you can definitely hear it.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

FreeA4, I was curious about something that sounds similiar, as you know when you first start the car, for 60 seconds the rpms pin around 1.2k, which I have come to think of as a warm up procedure. If I take off during the warm up, I get some odd noises and vaccum sounds. Sometime I just can't wait the 60 seconds but if I do, no noises. I wonder if this is what you are referring to. I have been curious if it is doing any damage taking off during the warm up but overall don't care since I can't always wait 60 seconds to get moving.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Had my 5k service and asked why the transmission always feels like it's 2 gears too high. Was told that this is simply a characteristic of the CVT used for the FWD, nothing they can do about it. Bummer. Oh well. Not going to let it ruin the fun of this pretty awesome car.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jmcn3rd
FreeA4, I was curious about something that sounds similiar, as you know when you first start the car, for 60 seconds the rpms pin around 1.2k, which I have come to think of as a warm up procedure. If I take off during the warm up, I get some odd noises and vaccum sounds. Sometime I just can't wait the 60 seconds but if I do, no noises. I wonder if this is what you are referring to. I have been curious if it is doing any damage taking off during the warm up but overall don't care since I can't always wait 60 seconds to get moving.
Maybe thats it? I'll try to wait for a period of time to see if the noise goes away..then I'll just leave quickly to see if it returns. I'll let you know, what happens.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Loaner

So the dealer picked up my car today and left me with a nice Q5. I took it for a spin, and I was like "yeah, this is how my transmission should be" and was all happy because I thought this confirmed what the dealer mechanic said that it might just be a software update - until I figured out the Q5 is the 6 speed....

Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

As I expected the dealer could find nothing wrong with the car. They said they had several people drive it and they found nothing that was "not they way it should be" - notice they did not say the car was fine, just that it was as expected. The person who I talked to this morning was not the person I reported the problem too, so I asked them what they were looking for, and they really didn't know what my complaint was... I informed them and they said they would test it again. They did. The issues did not show.

There in lies the problem, I don't know how to get the car to display the symptoms on demand. They just happen when I am driving, the only criteria I do know is that it usually happens at lower speeds while slowing down. It will take more then a short test drive to see them.

I guess I am just stuck being miserable with the car. Hopefully my dissatisfaction will fade over time as I just get used to it. Kind of sucks that I am hoping to get use to lower expectations.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

Guys got a a4l with paddle shifters. When i need to overtake a car i usually down 2 levels in auto mode or comfort mode. The car rockets forward. Mine is a 2.0t cvt b8 sline. Will upload some pics hopefully tomm. Color is contour grey with 18" wheels.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bradthoc
Curious, does anyone's new purchase have the paddle shifters? My '11 Avant, is a premium plus package with the titanium add on.
Wondering if anyone else has been using the paddle shifters or tiptronic option to downshift the car when in high gear and wanting that lower gear for acceleration, instead of stomping on the gas.

Won't have my car for another month or so, but look forward to sharing my experience with this new transmission.
My previous thread was a reply for bradhoc. With paddles u get a grater exciliration than stomping on gas. But u should down 2 levels. The shifts are so quick that 2 shifts can be done in few milliseconds i guess in layman terms.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

In reply to first thread on here...
I take back everything I said about this transmission and want to suggest to everyone to put a few thousand [miles] on the car first.
The transmission has definitely become used to my driving habits and has settled in, shifting less and less abruptly. The car is much more enjoyable at this point; a very fun ride.

Quick Reply: 2011 8 speed transmission experiences