B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Annoying front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Annoying front end noise

I'm experiencing a really annoying noise in the front end of my 2011 a4 and the dealer is stumped. It's a 2011 Audi A4 with the sports suspension. The car has 15,000 miles on it and the noise started without incident about 2-3 months ago. The noise appears to be coming from the driver's side of the car. It's hard to know for sure because the driver is sitting on that side of the car which may explain why it sounds like that's where it's coming from . The noise occurs when moving slowly over uneven pavement such as moving about 5-10 mph in a parking lot at the supermarket or backing out of a driveway. Sometimes it seems more prominent when the car has to dip, such as moving backwards going up a slope or downward into a driveway, however it sometimes happens on the street if the road isn't smooth. On smooth roads it never makes the noise even at low speeds. Once the car is moving more than 20 miles per hour or so it's gone or at least I never hear it.

I brought it in to my dealer twice in the past two weeks. Both times, their technician went for a ride with me and heard the noise. On the second time, they had their shop foreman drive the car with me for a good 20 minutes or so he confirmed the noise and said that is definitely not normal. They kept the car for a week. Initially, they replaced the wheel bearings and ball joints on both sides of the front end, but the noise continued. When I brought it back for the second time they called in a regional service manager who said he thought it was the struts. They special ordered the struts (I have the sports package), however, after replacing the struts the noise continued. Finally, they told me they went over virtually everything in the front end, lubed it, tightened everything and said they can't figure it out. They told me I could leave it with them for a few more days, but the service manager said they've done everything they could think of and (of course) their computers say that everything checks out normal.

They completely acknowledge that the noise is still there, but they say they have no idea what it could be and don't know what to do. I decided to take my car back from them and the service manager said I could bring it back again if it persists or gets worse, but he said he's not sure what they can do because they replaced everything they think it could be. If anybody has some thoughts I'd be very happy to hear them.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Certified

I would have to guess at either sway bar links or bushings especially if it is at low speeds where it is heard. Could also be a body flex issue.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
I would have to guess at either sway bar links or bushings especially if it is at low speeds where it is heard. Could also be a body flex issue.
I'd have to agree with this and recommend replacing those. I just went through this very same issue on our 2001 VW Beetle. Sounds like the same situation, and it fixed our noise.