General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help sorting out annoying noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Default Help sorting out annoying noise!!!

Hey guys,

I've got a '96 A4 2.6SE. Over the last couple of months the car has developed this weird sort of raspy drone between about 2000-2500RPM. It's almost like you can hear every cylinder fire and produce this metallic drone. The most annoying part is its an auto and as it kicks up to the next gear it falls into this problem rev range and the noise begins again.

It's got a completely stock exhaust so the issue isn't a dodgy muffler. My mechanic thought it was the catalytic converter initially, so he pulled it apart but said it was fine. He seemed to think it was an issue with a loose baffle?

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? If it is a loose baffle would it be in the resonator or the muffler? What if I just swapped out the stock resonator with a Vibrant/Magnaflow one, do you think this would fix the issue?

Heres a short clip of the problem, sorry but its really quiet and hard to hear. Its far more obvious driving the car. It only lasts for a second or so each time, but happens basically just after each gear change. The times it happens are at roughly 1s 4s 6s 12s 14s 19s.

Clip can be downloaded here:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/fairbank/sound3.wav

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 AM

Anyone?

The issue seems to be getting worse. It sounds like its coming from either the resonator, rear muffler or heat shielding around the two.

If I do get the exhaust replaced, can anyone recommend me a quiet resonator and muffler. Most of the aftermarket ones I've heard are pretty loud, and I don't really want a ricer sounding car.