B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

B8 Audi A4 sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default B8 Audi A4 sport mode

I just recently to test out what it feels like to drive in sport mode on my 09 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro that I just got this September. So i put the gear in "S" and was on my way with the windows down and it felt good driving in "S" mode. However a couple miles later i started smelling the burning of oil or rubber "think it's oil" coming thru the window. It got me worried so i just switched back to "D".

Should i be worried? This is my first Audi ever and never expected it to release a smell or burning oil or rubber. I most likely will ask the dealership when my service is up in about 16 days.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
5th Gear

were you stepping on it quite a bit in S mode? it could just be tires. but if you were pretty easy on the gas there shouldn't be any oil burning smells.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear
Default as the Audi Techs to inspect things

Originally Posted by rahip4567
I just recently to test out what it feels like to drive in sport mode on my 09 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro that I just got this September. So i put the gear in "S" and was on my way with the windows down and it felt good driving in "S" mode. However a couple miles later i started smelling the burning of oil or rubber "think it's oil" coming thru the window. It got me worried so i just switched back to "D".

Should i be worried? This is my first Audi ever and never expected it to release a smell or burning oil or rubber. I most likely will ask the dealership when my service is up in about 16 days.

Any thoughts?
Tell the Audi folks about it and they'll definitely inspect things.

When I am pushing my car hard on the track (flooring it, then smashing the brake pedal down) all i ever smell when im done is brakes, and a little bit of rubber. I've never smelt burning oil in a car, but I think the exhaust would turn darker if you were burning oil.

I would guess that burning oil smells much different then burning tires, but thats just a guess.

I don't think the cars have any Transmission issues, at least none i'm aware of so either your car has something wrong, or you are smelling brakes or tires. you don't really need to worry if you smell brakes or tires. well i guess you only worry that you are not just burning brakes and tires, but also $. lol