B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

EBC vs Hawk vs OEM - Brake Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
1st Gear
Default EBC vs Hawk vs OEM - Brake Help!

Hi All,

Reaching out to all of you for a little help. I am replacing my OEM brakes on my 2010 A4. I am toying with the idea with going back to OEM since they got me 50,000 miles already.

I am looking for pads and rotors replacements.

I have also done some research and on the web on EBC (Yellow/Red) and HAWK and not sure if its worth the money. Also looking at the PowerStop for rotors.

I take my car to the track a couple times a year, but I also use it as my daily driver. I keep my car super clean, so the brake dust isnt a concern.

I just need some direction or maybe some "no ways" or "I have done that" from you all. Thanks,

Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AztekSLK23
Hi All,

Reaching out to all of you for a little help. I am replacing my OEM brakes on my 2010 A4. I am toying with the idea with going back to OEM since they got me 50,000 miles already.

I am looking for pads and rotors replacements.

I have also done some research and on the web on EBC (Yellow/Red) and HAWK and not sure if its worth the money. Also looking at the PowerStop for rotors.

I take my car to the track a couple times a year, but I also use it as my daily driver. I keep my car super clean, so the brake dust isnt a concern.

I just need some direction or maybe some "no ways" or "I have done that" from you all. Thanks,

I'm somewhat in a similar situation to you. Daily driver, with a few track days a year.

Right now I have Hawk HPS pads in the front. I'm surprised you're able to track with OEM pads, that was the first thing i upgraded so i'm not sure how much better they are. i can definitely say there is little brake fade after torturing my car for 20min sessions.

that being said, I think my brake setup is still greatly lacking. i need more bite. i'm looking at this ECS OEM BBK w/ slotted rotors. It basically puts the Audi S4 rotors on the A4, they share the same caliper. the only thing holding me back is if these bigger rotors will fit inside my OEM 17" wheels, which i use in the winter. Adams rotors have great reviews, and seem to be very durable. im a little turned off by the fact that it says "all sales final" on the website tho. I need to find out if ECS has some kind of warranty. if i was willing to spend a little more $$ on the brakes I would get a stoptech kit.

whatever you do dont get cross-drilled. get either solid, or slotted. you will get cracks all over cross drilled rotors if you run your car hard on a track. make sure to look for "track capable" or something like that on all your parts. I noticed when shopping for pads that many "performance" pads said they shouldn't be used on a track.

i bleed my brakes once a year with ATE superblue, not sure if its overkill. and maybe obvious, but upgrade the front setup first if u dont want to do all 4 wheels.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the update.

How are the hawks, I heard that they dont have a sensor wire? Is that true? Also I been using PowerStop rotors for years, which are drilled, have you heard about those at all?

I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I am close.

Haha

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AztekSLK23
Thanks for the update.

How are the hawks, I heard that they dont have a sensor wire? Is that true? Also I been using PowerStop rotors for years, which are drilled, have you heard about those at all?

I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I am close.

Haha
The Hawks are great. They are the only track capable pad I've ever used though. they are not strictly track pads, those are the HP+. im thinking about having HPS for street and HP+ for track.

yep, no brake pad sensor. not sure if you can put one on. i easily slid it off the original brake pads so i wonder if i can just as easily slide it on these hawks. since no sensor you gotta know your pad wear regularly, and u have to get clever to get the annoying dash light to turn off from the sensor missing.

i think ive heard of powerslot. they are slotted though arent they, not drilled with holes. i trust stoptech as a brand so seems like a good pick.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

How did you get the annoying dash light to turn off with no sensor.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

The shop i took it to did it as a courtesy. They said they cut an old brak pad sensor off, plugged it in, and soldered the cut end together. It shorts out tje circuit and fools the car to thinking the sensor is still there.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

I'm in the same spot of replacing front pads and rotors just shy of 50k miles. The dealer quoted me $600 for parts and labor with all OEM parts. Personally, I don't want to pay for OEM pads that will just spew dust on everything and my dealer has a policy of not installing any after market products.

When I told the dealer I was going to look into after market pads and rotors they told me to stay away from any pads that would be harder than the OEM dust devils. I was looking at buying ceramic pads which would definitely be harder.

The dealer said it would likely cause "shaking" when I applied the brakes. I'm not sure if I believe this or not, but has anyone ever heard of harder brakes causing any shaking with the OEM calipers?? Thanks.