B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

A few 2009 A4 2.0/3.2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Default A few 2009 A4 2.0/3.2 questions

All-

Thanks for having me on your board- it was really nice to be able to find a place that I could come and ask some owners a few questions. I hope to be able to give back a bit in the future.

So, I'm a former TT owner (2007 model) that got rid of it when I got married and only needed 1 car. We've had a child since then, so it's time to go back to two cars and something a little bigger than a TT.

I'm undecided between the 2.0 and the 3.2. I don't really need the extra power of the 3.2 for where I live, but what I can't figure out is if there are options that come with the 3.2 that I just can't get on the 2.0.

Also, I had an iphone question- I know the premium plus packages will integrate an iPod into the system, but will that continue to allow the bluetooth of the iPhone to work with the car and seamlessly integrate? I'd love to be able to simply drop my phone in the car and to be able to make calls without having to look down at the phone if possible. This might be a stretch for any car right now

Thanks so much!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

It should work... The Bluetooth operation on the iPhone is completely independent of the music output (which the AMI uses). The AMI evens shows the numeric Caller-ID on the AMI display, but doesn't sync contact (i.e. linking name and number) unless your address book is stored on the SIM card itself. I've got a BB and there's a separate contact DB stored on the SIM card that's separate from the BB Address Book. I believe the Iphone is setup the same way.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

I was on the fence about the 2.0 vs. 3.2, but once I saw the numbers my mind was eased. The 2.0 has MORE torque and, at least 0-60, is FASTER than the 3.2. The extra horsepower in the 3.2 catches up after that, but for most of your driving it sounds as though it's no faster -- and perhaps slower. That was enough for me. If they'd gotten closer to 300hp out of that V6, I'd be all over it. But as it stands, gimme the 2.0

Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

i was undecided between the 2T vs 3.2 for a while before i bought and it came down to better fuel economy with the 2T plus it has been voted the best engine in it's class since it was introduced.

as far as options go, i think you can get the same ones regardless of the engine. the bluetooth option is fantastic. you can talk handsfree and it works well. you can make calls without taking your hands off the wheel.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Default I'd prefer the 3.2

With the Avant, I did not have a choice. I might have selected the 2.0T if I'd had a choice, but having owned it for a few months, I would go for the 3.2 unless your concious over rules.

My previous A4 was the 2.8L and we have a 2.7T allroad. The new 2.0T is fine in every respect except for the silly stutter-stall it has when starting up in "D" if you have not come to a full and TOTAL stop. It rarely does it in "S". My dealer says that is normal for an automatic with the 1.8/2.0Ts. To me it is an annoying weakness in an otherwise very nice car.

I drove the Q5 with the 3.2 and really enjoyed how smooth it is.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

i don't get any silly stutter-stalls with mine.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Default no stutter-stalls?

Hopefully most are like yours rather than like mine. It's hard to believe the A4 should act like this.

I can easily believe my dealer is leading me on a bit when they say it is "normal" for a 2.0T to act like mine. It's not terrible--just obnoxious. Which is not a term I would ever use for my old A4 or my allroad.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by illiad50
With the Avant, I did not have a choice. I might have selected the 2.0T if I'd had a choice, but having owned it for a few months, I would go for the 3.2 unless your concious over rules.

My previous A4 was the 2.8L and we have a 2.7T allroad. The new 2.0T is fine in every respect except for the silly stutter-stall it has when starting up in "D" if you have not come to a full and TOTAL stop. It rarely does it in "S". My dealer says that is normal for an automatic with the 1.8/2.0Ts. To me it is an annoying weakness in an otherwise very nice car.

I drove the Q5 with the 3.2 and really enjoyed how smooth it is.
Sounds like more of a transmission problem that an engine issue

Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet
All-

Thanks for having me on your board- it was really nice to be able to find a place that I could come and ask some owners a few questions. I hope to be able to give back a bit in the future.

So, I'm a former TT owner (2007 model) that got rid of it when I got married and only needed 1 car. We've had a child since then, so it's time to go back to two cars and something a little bigger than a TT.

I'm undecided between the 2.0 and the 3.2. I don't really need the extra power of the 3.2 for where I live, but what I can't figure out is if there are options that come with the 3.2 that I just can't get on the 2.0.

Also, I had an iphone question- I know the premium plus packages will integrate an iPod into the system, but will that continue to allow the bluetooth of the iPhone to work with the car and seamlessly integrate? I'd love to be able to simply drop my phone in the car and to be able to make calls without having to look down at the phone if possible. This might be a stretch for any car right now

Thanks so much!
The Audi system is awesome.
I have an 08 Mercedes C300 Sport. I truly love that car but the phone integration sucks with my iphone. I am not able to import my phone book and I have to use the phone to make calls. It seems all other phones work well with the systme but the iphone wants to "take control" and won't allow the system to work properly.
With the Audi, it is seamless so no worries for you there.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by OtisOtisOtis
I was on the fence about the 2.0 vs. 3.2, but once I saw the numbers my mind was eased. The 2.0 has MORE torque and, at least 0-60, is FASTER than the 3.2. The extra horsepower in the 3.2 catches up after that, but for most of your driving it sounds as though it's no faster -- and perhaps slower. That was enough for me. If they'd gotten closer to 300hp out of that V6, I'd be all over it. But as it stands, gimme the 2.0
I really don't understand where people got the idea that the 2.0 is faster 0-60 than the 3.2. Just because 2.0 has higher torque it doesn't mean it has higher acceleration. For over 6 months I was searching BMW, G37, C350 and only 1 week before buying I tested the A4 (since A5 wasn't available), I loved it. At first it didn't seem to have enough torque compared to my Altima SE-R but when I tried the Drive Select I just loved it. I decided to test the 2.0 for the torque and it was clear to me that it wasn't a match. If you don't believe me do your research, here's a link:

http://www.auto123.com/en/audi/a4/20...ab=performance

After driving the car for about 3,000 miles it seems to be even smoother and faster, especially with drive select it's amazing. As per the options, I would never go for the 2.0. When you put all the options on the 2.0 the price comes close to the 3.2 and you still missing some options.