B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...
View Poll Results: Do you have vibration issues that aren't normal with the 2009 Audi A4?
Yes and it sucks!
66.10%
No, I must've gotten a good one!
33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

How many Audi 2009 A4 owners have issues with vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Default Control Arms and Power Steering Hose

All,
I am new to the forum. Just bought a used 2009 A4 Avant, blk/blk, auto, nav with 19K miles. Took it to the dealer yesterday for low speed shudder and high speed vibrations. When on test drive with tech while there. They called me about 2 hrs later to say that all wheels/tires look fine and they had received approval from AoA to replace control arms and install an updated power steering hose.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

sorry to resurrect this thread, but having a similar issue that I was hoping to get help with.

I have a 09 A4 w/ ~73k miles on it.

I bought it in 2012 (CPO) and had the same vibration issue discussed. Long story short, i ended up having to replace the tires (on my own dime, but didn't fix the issue) and then the dealer replaced the control arm bushings (under warranty). After this, the vibration didn't go completely away, but was very minimal and hardly noticeable (my passengers didn't notice it even when I asked them about it - but being the OCD car-guy I am, I could feel it).

Anyway, though not perfect, the car was fine for a long time. Recently, I replaced my tires. I bought almost the exact same tire (Continental ExtremeContact) with the only difference being I took off all-season ones and put on summer ones (I moved to FL). Got a road force balance with the new tires.

Low and behold, vibration is back. 65+ MPH. I took it back to do balancing again (again road force) - better but still definitely noticeable. I had alignment checked, and they said it was fine. I also confirmed that the wheel lugs were not on too tight.

One interesting observation I noticed is that the vibration is not consistent. I'll have the car on cruise control on a straight/flat highway at 75 MPH. There will be no vibration for a few seconds, then it will gradually phase in. Then it will periodically go away again seemingly randomly. Makes me think it's not a bent rim or something of the sort?

Any thoughts? Has anybody had the issue come back after a tire change? It could be the tires, but, given this car's history, I'm willing to bet it's not and don't want to deal with getting a new set.

Last edited by sb730; 05-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sb730
sorry to resurrect this thread, but having a similar issue that I was hoping to get help with.

I have a 09 A4 w/ ~73k miles on it.

I bought it in 2012 (CPO) and had the same vibration issue discussed. Long story short, i ended up having to replace the tires (on my own dime, but didn't fix the issue) and then the dealer replaced the control arm bushings (under warranty). After this, the vibration didn't go completely away, but was very minimal and hardly noticeable (my passengers didn't notice it even when I asked them about it - but being the OCD car-guy I am, I could feel it).

Anyway, though not perfect, the car was fine for a long time. Recently, I replaced my tires. I bought almost the exact same tire (Continental ExtremeContact) with the only difference being I took off all-season ones and put on summer ones (I moved to FL). Got a road force balance with the new tires.

Low and behold, vibration is back. 65+ MPH. I took it back to do balancing again (again road force) - better but still definitely noticeable. I had alignment checked, and they said it was fine. I also confirmed that the wheel lugs were not on too tight.

One interesting observation I noticed is that the vibration is not consistent. I'll have the car on cruise control on a straight/flat highway at 75 MPH. There will be no vibration for a few seconds, then it will gradually phase in. Then it will periodically go away again seemingly randomly. Makes me think it's not a bent rim or something of the sort?

Any thoughts? Has anybody had the issue come back after a tire change? It could be the tires, but, given this car's history, I'm willing to bet it's not and don't want to deal with getting a new set.
Did you get this fixed? I’ve just bought a nice 2009 A4 and it does exactly what you described, comes and goes every few seconds at 75mph and above. It’s a lovely car otherwise but it’s quite disconcerting

Old 08-08-2023, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Same exact vibration problem, 2017 A4. Have you a resolution?