B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

I have run out of options for a backup camera system

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Esandes, I thank you for your erudite remarks. They must have required a great deal of thought on your part.

The most appealing aspect of an internet forum such as this one to me is that an exchange of knowledge, experience and ideas is available to members who wish to solve a problem. Unfortunately, you have chosen to respond with caustic and demeaning comments.

I consider your barbs to be not simply the product of a humorous intellect but instead an example of immaturity.

My inability to handle my Audi is not the reason for my wanting a backup camera system. My desire to obtain one is to insure that I do not hit someone who might cross my path as I back out of my garage in dim light at night.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

if you do find a back up camera, i can tell you where to shove it. drive carefully in the meantime.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
sbl
1st Gear

Maybe put in one of those reverse beeper things - scare the snot out of the clueless "old farts"?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Certified

You cannot add aftermarket equipment to work thru the MMI. That has to be accepted, there is no way around it.

The only option you have to have the dealer install the camera and module. Instead of accepting a monetary adjustment. I would have negotiated for them to install the required equipment after the fact. It is more expensive to install outside of production but the difference the dealer should eat for their mistake.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Have you looked at this?

Audi A4 - Audi A6 - Audi A8 - Audi Q7 TV Nav Video Input Interface. Connect a DVD Player, TV Tuner, Reverse Backup Video Camera, iPod Video, Aftermarket Navigation Or Other AV Source To Your Car's OEM GPS Navigation Headunit - LCD Screen Display - Na

It looks like it involves some work and doesn't work exactly like the OEM version... but from what I can see it does claim to work with 2004+. It will use the screen, but not the MMI commands, comes with a separate remote to work. Let me know if you do this and how it works.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for this information.

I will check it out and respond if I opt for the system.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

This is where the matter is on May 4, 2012:

Audi’s OEM backup camera system was unavailable when they assembled my 2012 A4 Avant. They told me that it had a stand-alone NAV-MM. Furthermore, my Avant was not equipped with the necessary components for future addition of Audi’s OEM backup system.

I wanted a backup camera system and contacted NAV-TV the company whose system I had installed in my former Lexus SC430. Unfortunately, they had nothing compatible. Next, I contacted other manufacturers who marketed high quality backup systems. None had a product for my Audi.

After failing to find a high quality system, I visited my local Pep Boys, O’Reilly and Autozone. Each carried a type of system that displayed camera images either on the car’s rear - view mirror or on a dash-mounted monitor. None of these products was to my liking.

Last week I learned from Arizona Auto Works that NAV-TV was to market in the next two weeks a new system that just might integrate with the Audi’s OEM NAV-MMI technology. I contacted NAV-TV and asked for detailed information about this new product. Tony Yankovsky of NAV-TV immediately responded.

I found that this new product consisted of a video interface kit, high quality video camera and various proprietary cables and connectors. Best of all, it displayed the backup image on the Audi’s NAV-MMI screen. This was just what I wanted.

Now, I am waiting for the NAV-TV system to become available and the assurance that it does indeed, integrate with my Avant’s NAV-MMI screen.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Any Camera solutions?

I bought a 2012 avant a year ago...I had two specifications for my wife's happiness: color and back up camera....period. The salesman informed me to get the back-up camera I had to buy NAV and that due to the tsunami in Japan a module had to be added in a few months once their supply issue was corrected that would allow the camera to function. All other options were gravy and I told the dealer I would take or leave. They found a car in Seattle and said I'd have it within a week so I paid the deposit and signed the papers. Later in the day the dealer called and said the Seattle dealer had sold the car (after they had agreed to transfer it to Portland).

The dealer then "found" a similar car on a ship that was being delivered in a week. It was the same color, had NAV, and would support the camera. After three weeks they finally had the car for me to pick-up. Upon delivery I asked when to expect the camera to function and was told it would be several months.

I took the car in for service and even had my other Audi serviced. Each time I asked about the camera I was told "you'll get a call" so I finally forgot about it. At 11 months of owning the car my wife snapped about paying for the NAV that we don't use to have the camera we don't have.

I called the dealer last month and inquired. After several hours I get call from someone saying that they are sorry...they checked...my car was never wired for a camera.

So, I paid $2000 for NAV I don't use and am told that they cannot retrofit my car with either the camera I want or the back-up sensors that I'd settle for.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Resurrecting this thread to see if Carbuff or Soccerdoodman got their backup camera systems. My wife and I just purchased a CPO A4 Avant and we would also like the backup camera if it is now available as an aftermarket. 'Theoven's' link may be an option to consider. Thx, Steve

Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

NAV-TV did market an excellent backup camera system for the 2012 A4 Avant. I bought it and am pleased with its wide, clear and colorful picture when I backup.

Quick Reply: I have run out of options for a backup camera system