B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

I have run out of options for a backup camera system

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

Thank you, Carbuff, for posting about your choice. Two questions: Did you do the install yourself or have an outside source, i.e. CarToys, etc.? Could you post a link to the site where you purchased your system? My car does not have the NAV, so are these cars wired one-way-or-the-other for this setup? Thanks again. Steve

Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Steve

I had the choice to either purchase the NAV-TV system directly from NAV-TV or an auto shop that was doing other work for me on my SC430. I opted to have that shop, Autostyle, Inc in Peoria, Arizona both order and install the system. As an aside, I would have had an auto shop do the installation anyway because I am mentally and physically challenged when it comes to doing this kind of work on a car without botching the job.

The system consists of:
Video Interface: NAV-TV RGBLEX
Video Backup Camera: Rostra 250-8082

I recommend you go to NAV-TV, check out the units advertised then phone them (get the number on their website) to ask any questions you might have about their various systems and costs. They might able to point you to an installer if you choose not to do the work yourself.

NAV-TV might also have an updated system from the one I purchased.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

Carbuff...one final, final question..well maybe two. Where was the camera installed?...tailgate latch area?..or under the spoiler?...and did you have to buy the Rostra 250 8082 camera with the 30 foot cable. I am having CarToys pricing with Nav-Tv and hopefully I can also get some money knocked off of the MSRP. Thanks, Steve

Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Please go to the navtv website. It shows how the installation is done. Also, phone them and they can provide all the info you might have.

This is what I did: I had an installer in Peoria, Arizona order and do the installation.

The camera is quite interesting. Just over the rear licence plate area of my Avant are two lights that illuminate the rear plate. The camera unit replaces that double light system. It has the camera on one side if the unit and a light on the other. The entire unit replaces the OEM plate light.

A cable is run from that position to an inner side panel just inside the rear gate door and connects to the NAVTV video interface. The panel also holds a box containing either fuses or electronics. Sorry but I do not know what the box actually houses. The cable is quite short less than four or five feet in length and goes from the inside of the camera light unit to that inner side panel.

I think but am not sure if the video signal is sent to the Audi MMI screen via wireless or bluetooth or whatever. The people at NAVTV can fill you in with the actual technical installation procedure.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Finally got our backup camera installed. Went with Nav-Tv interface ( audi09 int ) version and a Boyo license frame camera.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Carbuff,

you mentioned earlier your dealership "gave you and adjustment" for their error. If you do not mind me asking, what did they do for you? My dealership notifed me 11 months after I got the car that they could not install the camera as promised when I ordered the car. For over 4 months they have not offered a solution despite admitting fault. They keep saying, "we will get back to you." I notified AudiUSA and they say it is a dealer problem.

I recently asked the dealer again to make ammends (like pay for the NAV-TV install which is about $1625 here in Oregon) and their response is they want to "swap" me into a 2013 allroad. The problem is their defintion of "swap" is going to require me to give up my car, all the accessories I've purchased that won't fit the allroad, and pay them approx $8300 on top of that. I then have to repurchase roof rack, mats, the AudiCare service warranty, etc.

They are "giving" me the new car at invoice...not even dealer cost. All my calculations show that they will make money on the deal (between my trade-in value and their sale price). Although a new car sounds nice and all, I do not feel I should have to cough up over $9000 to rectify THEIR mistake.

Dan

Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4AvantWgn
Finally got our backup camera installed. Went with Nav-Tv interface ( audi09 int ) version and a Boyo license frame camera.
Do you have any pictures or videos of the install or of the system working? And did the installer tell you if it was difficult or easy to install? I'm currently trying to find an installer who can install this system or one very similar on my 2012 A8. Specifically, I want to add a forward camera in addition to the OEM rear one.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Drtate ....Sorry, I do not have any video footage of the install or operation of the unit. My installer was CarToys. I like the system ...very clear when the camera lens is not overly dirty, but I find that I often do not look at my screen while backing. Steve