B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

low-beams too high?

Old 02-22-2015, 02:45 PM
1st Gear
Default low-beams too high?

I have a 2014 A4 Quattro. It seems as if my low-beams are set too high. i've noticed a lot of oncoming drivers will flash their high beams at me thinking that I have my high beams on. Is there a way to adjust the level at which the low beams point? when I start the car the headlights actually move up and down so i'm assuming it's computer controlled. is this complicated to fix?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

First, I am no expert here, but my A6 has autoleveling headlights (no longer operative). I am pretty sure that since they adjust for load, they will compensate for any manual adjustment you try and make. Secondly, since you probably have HID headlights, you will find their brightness often confuses other drivers into thinking you are driving with your high beams on. A quick flick of the lever to flash your real brights cures that misconception.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wrathofpaul
I have a 2014 A4 Quattro. It seems as if my low-beams are set too high. i've noticed a lot of oncoming drivers will flash their high beams at me thinking that I have my high beams on. Is there a way to adjust the level at which the low beams point? when I start the car the headlights actually move up and down so i'm assuming it's computer controlled. is this complicated to fix?
The auto-level headlights are factory set by a mechanical adjustment to their top position in an unloaded car. The auto feature works as you put weight in the car/trunk. When you have this weight the rear of the car sinks thus the HL beams will self adjust to a lower position. There are adjustments in the rear of the headlight housing but you need to do this with the system on and the normal driver weight in the car. Most people don't/can't make this adjustment and if they do they usually adjust them to high. Look in the OM for the adjustment but you would be better to have a dealer do this as they have a method to do this alignment. Also some of the new HID's appear brighter as they are more "white" light .