B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption -- ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil Consumption -- ???

Car is 2009 A4 t Quattro. Since new it has been consuming a quart of 5w20 about every 2 months (I've been using Castrol or Mobil-1). Driving is combination city and highway, about 300 miles a week. We spoke to the dealership where we bough this from; they said this consumption rate is NORMAL.

REALLY? How about the rest of you, how much oil are you going through? Any suggestions regarding how I handle the dealer. Suggestions on reducing the rate? I guess I can bump up the viscosity, but I'd take a hit with fuel economy, I think.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tunaoue
Car is 2009 A4 t Quattro. Since new it has been consuming a quart of 5w20 about every 2 months (I've been using Castrol or Mobil-1). Driving is combination city and highway, about 300 miles a week. We spoke to the dealership where we bough this from; they said this consumption rate is NORMAL.

REALLY? How about the rest of you, how much oil are you going through? Any suggestions regarding how I handle the dealer. Suggestions on reducing the rate? I guess I can bump up the viscosity, but I'd take a hit with fuel economy, I think.
Do we assume you mean 5W-40 and not 5W-20. So at 300 miles a week or 2400 miles for 2 months you are getting better then normal oil consumption. You can have the dealer do the oil consumption test but you are well within the normal range. If you read the OM you'll see that 1 quart per 1200 miles is considered normal for Audi. There are dozens of posts on this topic and everyone has the same complaint. Your options are to either live with it or trade it in for another brand.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

it's normal, just add a quart of some 5w40

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Look at it this way. If you do 15000 miles a year it will be 3 oil changes. In between each oil change you'll need to add a quart. So add 3 quarts at $8.50 each and it only will cost you an extra $25 per year. You can live with this .

Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do we assume you mean 5W-40 and not 5W-20.
Yeah, I goofed, I'm using 5w30.

Still, my buddy with a Roush Mustang; high performance and uses the same oil. His car doesn't burn ANYTHING.

This is a minor issue; With my older car (1980 BMW 500K miles.) I check the oil every time I get gas, and burning a quart every month is understandable. I still think it shouldn't need any extra between oil changes . . . but that's just me. Perhaps its a flaw in the engine, and most people have accepted it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tunaoue
Yeah, I goofed, I'm using 5w30.

Still, my buddy with a Roush Mustang; high performance and uses the same oil. His car doesn't burn ANYTHING.

This is a minor issue; With my older car (1980 BMW 500K miles.) I check the oil every time I get gas, and burning a quart every month is understandable. I still think it shouldn't need any extra between oil changes . . . but that's just me. Perhaps its a flaw in the engine, and most people have accepted it.

Thanks for the feedback!
It's a design flaw that Audi won't admit. Try using 5W-40 Castrol as the 30W will burn faster. Good luck

Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

There are a lot of problems VW/Audi won't fess up to, otherwise gullible people will stop believing in the superior German engineering myth. lol
That being said, the bigger V8 in the Mustang needs to stress a lot less and needs to rev much slower than your smaller engine to keep the car moving. High revs result in more oil burning.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Certified

First off Audi has recognized oil consumption concerns and admitted an issue. There has been a dedicated repair in place for about 3 months now. And it almost every case it fixes the problem.

Secondly, a mustang and a european motor are night a day comparison. Euro motors are all aluminum with very small tolerances

But if you think just because you have ONE FRIEND with a mustang and no oil consumption problems doesn't mean a thing in the grand spectrum of things.

I advise you to do some research before going off on false tirades

2012 GT oil consumption 1 quart/2500 miles - Ford Mustang Forums

When i googled mustangs oil consuption there was no end to the threads and forums of complaints

Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Audi Tek;1403843]First off Audi has recognized oil consumption concerns and admitted an issue. There has been a dedicated repair in place for about 3 months now. And it almost every case it fixes the problem.

Secondly, a mustang and a european motor are night a day comparison. Euro motors are all aluminum with very small tolerances

But if you think just because you have ONE FRIEND with a mustang and no oil consumption problems doesn't mean a thing in the grand spectrum of things.

I advise you to do some research before going off on false tirades

2012 GT oil consumption 1 quart/2500 miles - Ford Mustang Forums

Can you please elaborate specifically as to what are the fixes. I doubt they have fixed the problems but only maybe minimized it .How good is the fix , maybe 1 quart per 5000 miles or can they meet the 10000 oil change interval without needing to add any oil. How does the 3.2 perform regarding oil consumption.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 PM
mjn
1st Gear

Same thing here.. my '09 A4 goes thru about a quart every 2500 or so. No big deal really. We should always keep close tabs on engine oil anyway.

I'll admit though.. the lack of a dipstick bugs me! Depending on what my in-car screen says the oil level is just seems wrong..

Interestingly enough, my daughters MkV GTI with the 2.0t doesn't burn a drop..

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption -- ???