B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Step 2 pistons and rings next week!

Just finished step one, dealership just called to let me know that they will be replacing the pistons and rings...also offered to replace the clutch, thats never slipped, for the low low price of $3000...guess they have to try and recoup some money somewhere, I'll just waiting til its done and replace it with an upgraded clutch for $2200 in a year or 2.
All in all I'm impressed with how Audi has dealt with this!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

I just looked back into my repair records and my A6 clutch was about $700 plus 9 hours labor ($75/hr at my indie shop) totaling about $1400. I also replaced the flywheel at the same time, which was another $700 part.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Default New clutch and single mass flywheel

Originally Posted by ppgoal
I just looked back into my repair records and my A6 clutch was about $700 plus 9 hours labor ($75/hr at my indie shop) totaling about $1400. I also replaced the flywheel at the same time, which was another $700 part.
That sounds about right. I also have a heavily modded MKIV Golf TDI. I had an upgraded clutch and single mass flywheel installed recently for 1700$, I understand there's more work involved replacing an AWD clutch, but for 800$ less I'll get a more durable clutch and my current clutch will more than likely last another year or two.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Washed_Up
That sounds about right. I also have a heavily modded MKIV Golf TDI. I had an upgraded clutch and single mass flywheel installed recently for 1700$, I understand there's more work involved replacing an AWD clutch, but for 800$ less I'll get a more durable clutch and my current clutch will more than likely last another year or two.
Except the b8 is nothing like any clutch setup you have ever seen. Because there are essentially two flywheels now. The friction surface and the part the bolts tot the rear of the crankshaft are no longer the same. So if damage is done to the flywheel friction surface you have to replace the clutch module. Which is the extremely expensive part.

There's also 11 bolts that mate your motor and trans. I'd count them after coming from and indie shop. Cause the hard to reach ones near the cat don't always make it back in.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Washed_Up
And a stronger clutch doesn't make it more durable. Generally it's the opposite.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0T B8 Oil Consumption

I helped a friend wrk through her oil consumption issue with a 2011 Q5. Consumption was 1qt every 500 miles. The first dealer worked all the way though stage II and then said that the oil consumption was normal. I installed a dipstick when the car was new so I knew I was tracking consumption very well. A new dealer opened in our city and they made us go through the oil consumption measurement period and then announced - your car needs new pistons and rings.
They were replaced free of charge and the oil consumption has dropped to near zero....point is that is is a very good fix. This gave me the courage to buy a 2013 Allroad and it hasn't used any measurable amount of oil in 13,000 miles of driving. Love these cars and a shame that Audi tripped so badly for so many years. By the way the pistons were replaced with the same pistons that I had in my 2007 GTI which also did not burn any oil until traded at 120,000 miles.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

I skimmed this thread really fast as I'm looking for other information on the site. I had my piston/rings replaced in nov 2013, then in sept 2014 the replace the crank vent and did programming. I haven't had an oil consumption issue since 2013, but the '14 fix should have been done at that time as well.

I didn't see anyone talking about the US class action lawsuit that is going on, but I could have missed it.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Crankcase vent

Before the pistons and rings were replaced, the dealer did the crankcase vent, and two other mods I cannot remember...they made small differences but the real issue was the poor fitting pistons and rings. As a footnote, I changed changed the oil in that engine after 5000 miles of driving and no oil and did find a rather large amount of metal wear particles stuck to the magnetic drain plug I installed....so best to do an early oil change after such a big engine rebuild as the new parts shed some metal particles as they break in.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

i just recently purchased a 2010 a4 2.0 myself and its using oil as well.. not sure on what to do honestly.. ive had the car for about a month now and its got around 107k on it.. would i be able to bring it to the local dealer and have the test done free of charge or would i have to pay out of pocket you think..? (bought from a smaller dealer not audi) thanks in advance for any help..

Old 06-02-2015, 07:09 PM
1st Gear
Default 2010 with high miles

With higher mileage the conversation about oil consumption will be more difficult but if the car has not had the Stage III fix of Pistons and Rings I would still try to build a relationship with a local dealer and see if they will bend. In our case, however we did get it done just before the 50,000 warranty expired. It is probably a $2500 out of pocket expense to have it done anyway and then enjoy the car for years to come....as I think the eight speed ZF transmission is probably good to 200,000 miles ....it seems bullet proof and is made to handle much larger engines than the 2.0T.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!