Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

1988 Audi 5000 Cold Start Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Question 1988 Audi 5000 Cold Start Idle Issue

Vehicle is CS TQ with TAP chip and stiffer WG spring and 2.5 inch open exhaust. I also have an aftermarket boost gauge. Fuel injectors are brand new with viton rings from World Impex.

I mostly have thread conversations with myself on this forum but hopefully this time will be different.

I have an idle issue after a cold start. The idle is set to ~745 RPM as per the manual but after a cold start the idle slowly increases from ~1000 to 1700 RPM over a period of about 1 minute I guess. The idle stays at that level until I drive 3 minutes (under 5 minutes so engine is not warmed up yet) and shut it down while stopped or coasting and then restart it. Upon restart, the idle settles to the factory setting of 745 RPM. The idle never settles back to under 1000 RPM after continuous use so it is not related to engine warm-up from what I can tell . I've looked into the TPS sensor and tried disconnecting its electrical connector during the symptoms only to find that the RPM's increase until I plug it back in. The idle control valve does not make any changes in idle if I unplug its electrical connector and replug in. All of my coolant temperature sensors are brand new from SJM within the last year and my ICV is the heavy duty version (used) used in the newer 90's vehicles.

Another aspect of this is I used to get 16 PSI boost right before red line which made the car lunge forward... it was so fun to drive. BUT now I only hit 14 PSI and the power band is flat up top.

If you have any ideas or want to just yak at me, please I would appreciate any responses...............EXCEPT shoe advertisements!

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Default small update

I checked the WOT and Idle switches on the TPS and it turns out that the WOT switch was not showing any resistance at all... ∞ Ohms. So I followed SJM and took that sucker apart and scratched up some contacts and the solders and it shows resistance about where it should be. Its back on the car but the sealant is drying so I will report back. Maybe I have some very silent readers out there.......?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default This is for you JH0104

Ya I had a problem with my car. Do you suggest that I keep my mouth shut and drive it broken so that people think audis suck d#ck? I went against the wave on this one and it was an easy fix and now my old audi hauls a$$ again. For the record, every time I do have a problem with my car and wish to remedy it on THIS forum... I get no answers whatsoever. As a result, I end up talking to myself on here and solving my problem myself because no body apparently uses this forum anymore. I switched to another forum and they are incredibly helpful and active over there. Nobody bashing other user's questions or each other or complaining that people are even asking for help in the first place. You may not have intended to come across the way you did but, after all, its the internet and messages can be misunderstood.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

could you pm a link to this other forum as i am having the same problem lol