Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

85 UR quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Made a little progress today but before we get to that a little housekeeping: I have been hosting most of my pictures on Facebook for this thread but I've recently noticed that they a not loading. It seems that they are still on my Facebook page but the urls have changed! There is no way I can go back and re-link them all so if you want to see them try my Snapfish account instead.

Now then, back to the business in hand. I torqued down the head bolts today. Boy, what a lot of effort. I hate torqueing head bolts. I always expect one to strip but they never have, yet. No pics; it looked just the same afterwards, sorry. I did paint the tinware though. Used Rustoleum instead of POR15. Way cheaper and probably fine for this application.

Tomorrow, if time permits, I will try to get this and the timing belt on. Or maybe the oil pan, or perhaps the valve cover. Something will get bolted to something.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

So, true to my word, I did bolt some things to other things today. Got the cam belt cover on. I would say "back on" but the engine didn't have one before!

and the cam pulley, crank pulley and cam belt.

and the valve cover

and even the oil pick up tube!

However, I'm not sure the timing is right yet so everything is still loose. What do you think, close enough:

I'm thinking maybe 1 tooth off on the cam end. Will it still turn safely one tooth out?

Old 12-06-2014, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Got some new engine mounts yesterday. These should do the trick.

Bolted the oil pan on. Had to replace a few missing screw!

Then bolted some things onto the left side

and then to the right side

I'm going to try to make one of these heat shields because I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know what color they were painted?

Last thing today I moved the car off the hoist and staged it in our showroom. The 911 that was there needs transmission work and has to be running soon so it's time to switch focus. I do intend getting the intake and exhaust mounted and mating up the transmission first though. If nothing else just to make some room in the shop. Cars in bits seem to take up a lot of space.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

I made this heat shield today. Still needs paint. Silver or black?

Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

Much progress today:

Painted the heat shield and installed it. Yep, went with silver for more heat reflectance.

Replaced the seals in the transmission while the paint was drying.

Installed the exhaust manifold and turbo.

and the down pipe.

I tried to install the waste gate but I'm going to need new studs. They don't semm to have part numbers though. How do I order them?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

I had a very productive afternoon then suffered what may or may not be a major setback. Read on.

I installed the intake manifold.

engine mounts

Then was installing the chains to lift it off the engine stand when it suddenly spun over and knocked off the down pipe!

As you might imagine I was quite devastated but upon inspection I think I may be alight. There's a slip fit and a weld just after the turbo which is where it broke. I think I can get it welded back together. The orientation is critical though so I left the rest of it bolted to the turbo. I'm going to wait till I get the hardware for the wastgate, dry fit it all then mark the orientation before having someone weld it up. Hopefully.

I had a cup of tea then carried on. Installed the flywheel next

then the clutch

followed by the clutch release bearing

Fortunately I got my chain lengths just right so they lined up pretty well.

and slid together without much of a fight.

I checked the timing marks and it was spot on

so put the timing cover on for the first time since I have owned the car.

So, I have now bolted together as many parts as I could and so I'm going to take a break for a few weeks while I fix the transmission in my 911. More broken German stuff!

Old 04-28-2015, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

OK, so a few weeks turned into a few months. It happens. Would really like to drive it this summer so cracking on. Today replacing the prop shaft seal.

Once this is back together this is all that's left on my list:

15 Rear trans seal
16 Refurb power steering system
17 Refurb CIS
18 Clean engine bay
19 Replace brake line
20 Refurb strut tops
21 Fix down pipe
22 Install waste gate
23 Trans oil
24 Attach subframe
25 Install engine, trans, sub frame
26 Reconnect ancillaries
27 Fire up
28 Test drive
29 alignment

Piece of cake.

Last edited by team illuminata; 05-01-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Replacing the diff lock actuator today I managed to brake the clip that attaches it to the actuator rod. NLA but ECS say they have one. We will see.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

I'm thinking the next phase should be to refurbish the hydraulic system before I pt the engine back in. It powers the steering and brakes and seems to be wet in its entirety. What is typically replaced. Should I refurbish the steering rack too?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

Everything is looking great. If you made the heat shield out of aluminum, I'd leave it unpainted. If you used steel, paint it with some high heat BBQ paint or something. Also, it does appear that you're a tooth off on the timing easy fix though especially before the thing is in the car. I'd love to score one of those 2-door Quattros but never seem to have the money when one comes available. Plus I'm in the middle of rebuilding my old 87 5000S Quattro. It's in pretty good shape body-wise. A few suspension parts where starting to so some bad rusting so I've removed the entire suspension and engine to tackle those items. I've almost gotten all the parts to rebuild the engine too.

Quick Reply: 85 UR quattro