Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

'87 Audi 5000S need help, with possible fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Default '87 Audi 5000S need help, with possible fuel issue

I have a 87 audi 5000s. I have a problem that I THINK has something to do with the fuel pump or within the fuel system. I was driving one day on the highway and the entire car just decelerated and I was forced to pull over. I couldn't get the car started again right away. It took a few times until it cranked over. After I drove it home about 10 miles, I parked it. I took it to the dealer and they fixed a "vacuum system leak." After driving it back home, I shut it off and restarted it and it worked fine. went inside my place, came back out and started the car again. Nothing!! It would want to crank, but not turn over. So I had to store it forawhile. Many months later I was able to tinker with it a bit, and got it started by a jump. I drove it to the gas station, put fuel in it, and then the car didnt want to start again. So I ended up pushing it home. Now, its just sitting. From what I heard about fuel pump issues I am thinking that could be the cause???? Any suggestions? So the summary of my problems are... car engine shuts off while driving 60 mph, wont turn over, and starts when it wants to, and doesnt start after putting fuel in the tank...
any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated
thanks...

Old 05-21-2006, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: '87 Audi 5000S need help, with possible fuel issue

To check the fuel pump you will need to do a system pressure and volume test. The problem might also be with the hall sensor inside the distributor. That is if you still have the original distributor. You can try checking the hall sensor by quickly freezing it with quick freeze, cold shot, etc, sold at electronics repair stores. Radio Shack used to carry it. To test, you will need to drive around until the engine dies. Pop the distributor cap off locate the hall sensor douse it with quick freeze until covered with frost. In my case this worked every time the sensor went south. Go to sjmautotechnik.com for info on testing the ignition.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

I have found that C.I.S fuel distributor to be a problem if the car sits for a while....your problem is most likly the metering rod in the fuel dist is stuck...I have had good luck by taking the fuel dist apart from the "air filter box" and cleaning it in an ultra sonic bath to remove trash that is causing the rod to stick!...its amazing how much trash can get in there!...good luck

Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Hi:

You might want to take a look at your ignition switch. If it won't turn over it is either that or the battery. A quick way to check the battery is just turn the lights on and everyting else. Make sure its fully charged. Then put a voltmeter on it. It should read close to 10 volts with everything on. If that is good then I would check the ignition switch. I had one fail on me on my 200 turbo. The plastic part on the back with the contacts broke. You will have to remove the steering wheel and the Speedo etc. Very easy to do that on the 5000S. Two screws under the top then just pull it all out. Disconnect the wires (they are easy to reinstall) and disconnect the speedometer cable from the back. Get a flashlight and take a look at the switch.