Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

ABK inexplicable oil drain (1995 B4 cabriolet)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 AM
1st Gear
Default ABK inexplicable oil drain (1995 B4 cabriolet)

Hello,

I own a 1995 80 cabriolet with the 2.0 ABK engine.

It has been an absolute nightmare from the start, making my 42 year old Italian rubbish look reliable in comparison.

Yet I love the look of it and the way it drives (when it works) and stubbornly persist in trying to fix all of its problems.

It seems to develop an unrelated issue as soon as the previous one gets sorted.

Its latest trick is draining all of its oil, rather rapidly.

I performed an oil change last year (maybe only 400 miles ago), with new filter. Wasn't a problem for those 400 miles so I presume the answer isn't '5W40 is too thin' else it would have leaked out sooner.

Recently all of a sudden the oil light came on and it started bleeping - thankfully only ten seconds from my home so I got back. Once inspected, oil had leaked from around the sump gasket, drain plug... And curiously the bottom of the filter too, which is nowhere near the rest.

I had to change the subframe bushes anyway to pass the MOT so whilst I was at it, put a new rubberised steel sump gasket on, made sure it was all tight, undid and re-tightened the oil filter, put a new coppêr washer - and loctite - on the sump plug.

And yet after the next time I had taken it out for a drive, yep - oil leaking from all three locations again.

It wasn't over-filled with oil, the level was between the two marks. Pressure issue? Is there a crankcase breather on the ABK engine which could potentially be blocked? If so where do I find it?

The oil pressure gauge never did work properly - either reading 0 or 5 bars depending on its mood. Showed 5 bars (max) lately but I have seen on forums that this is one of the most common problems on B4 cabrios and coupés, apparently they all do that and a new sender is over £100. Besides it never leaked before in the 4 or 5 years I've owned it despite the gauge never working.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm a bit miffed that it's still leaking oil after having changed everything - I'm guessing it's a pressure related issue, but don't know what the cause - and solution - could be.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 07-06-2017, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

Maybe the Oil Pressure Relief Valve is sticking and higher than 5-bar pressures are occurring? Also check the PCV system. Crank the engine and loosen the oil filler cap. Try to lift it from the fill hole gently. If you feel it being sucked back into the opening, the PCV Valve is defective and can be pulling excess oil into the intake.