Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Why is it so hard to find a cheap radiator here in germany?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Why is it so hard to find a cheap radiator here in germany?!?!?

ok.. they gave me a quote of 295.00 EURO for a 477mm x 377mm (i think its supposed to be 480mm).. but i think thats HELLA expensive!!! Is there THAT much of a difference between a 1990 coupe and an 89 coupe quattro?? I have a 2.3 L 5cyl engine code 7A.... does the vin # REALLY make that much of a difference? They all look the same to me! I found some of the all alum radiators for 129.00 USD for the 90 coupe quattro.. wouldn't that work just as well at a 295.00 EURO one?

PLS inform me of what kind of radiator to get.. bec everone in germany is trying to charge me WAY to much id rather order one from the states

Old 01-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Why is it so hard to find a cheap radiator here in germany?!?!?

wow thats a lot. 300euro, thats expensive, the aluminum rad will work. I realy dont know where to buy, but I bought mine for 215 buks.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear

All Audi radiators are not created equal! From my own personal experience and research I have found al lot variation. Some are new all aluminum other are copper and brass others are re-cored/remanufactured units and my all time favorite are the "Made in China" universal one size fits all "slight modification required." If you want less hassle and easy installation go with an OEM style radiator. Yeah you will pay more but the parts will fit and you will have the required cooling capacity. BUT if you want to waste lots of time and money go with a cheap one and you will be fabricating brackets and looking for reducers to fit the hoses. To me time is money and the less fabrication I have to do the better.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

I hear ya on that part.. with universal ones. But i mean the 1989-1990 audi coupe radiators should be the same right?? I found some orig style ones that were 200 bucks and definately not 300 EURO... but im trying to figure out what are the differences between the 1989-1990 coupe ones.. bec if a 1990 coupe one that is OEM style and 200 bucks or so.. id rather buy that... than the same thing over here for 300 euro ya know what i mean? I think nissens makes an all ALUM one and a OEM style one.. it sucks that most places in the states wont ship to me, bec im overseas (even though i have an APO addy).. which really sucks bec the box my window regulator came in was HELLA HUGE!!!!!!! Prob 3 times as big as a rad would be.

The core size for the 1989-1991 should be 480mm right? My car doesnt even have an A/C so i wont have to run into that prob when it comes time to take it out.
*sigh* hopefully i can get the new rad soon.. bec my car starts to have smoke comming out of the headlight areas at around 90 deg. C.. i have some rad fan relays comming to me too, bec the high speed and low speed ones were MISSING .. My rads core is shot.. bec a lot of the little fins are actually falling out.

Anyway thanks for the info guys. !

Old 01-28-2006, 07:09 PM

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerc...ch_Results.asp

Old 01-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Default RE: Why is it so hard to find a cheap radiator here in Germany?!?!?

ps: they are usually cheaper in Germany

Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Yeah thats what I was thinking!! What the heck is going on here?? By CHEAP i ment around 200 bucks, which i expected to pay. I just need to know if the 1990 radiator would work for an 89. I guess i will keep looking..and i hope to find a place that will ship to me

Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 PM

I cant see there being a difference between the 1989/90 radiator only thing would be if it were automatic then it would have a cooler built in but it can still be used just blank the pipes off

Old 01-28-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

no automatic.. just a 5 sp manual.. as long as the core length was the same i figured it would be ok. So I would need the one without the tranny cooler, which seems to be cheaper anyway.

I think my new thermostat will be 16 euros.. and a new oxy sensor (its not bosch, but i guess its the same according to the guy ive been talking to at the parts place) for 100 euro.. which seems about right..

my gas milage is TERRIBLE right now too

Old 01-28-2006, 08:55 PM

I have nisens rad, it cools very fast. even though I have some problems with heat going to much, on highway the temp stays at like 85 all the way. In city if standing the temp stays at like 95, moving 92, regular driving 90.
100 euros for the O2 sensor thats a lot. get universal one with one wire. like 18buks. I gues you have I4 or I5 engine and they use 1 sensor, an universal would be fine.

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard to find a cheap radiator here in germany?!?!?