Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

radio in "safe" mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Post radio in "safe" mode

i just recently bought a A4 with the radio in "safe" mode. i've searched online for a couple of days and found some people talking about a sticker in the trunk by the spare tire. i have the maintenance guide, with the same information on the front, inside page. Line 1 is the VIN #, line 2 is the type/engine output/month and yr..., line 3 is the engine code, line 4 is the paint #, and line 5 is optional equipment. i tried the 4 digit numbers on the the bottom of line 5 (optional equipment), but still no luck unlocking from "safe" mode. if anyone knows where i can look for the code, i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance for all the help

Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by crosbyeighty7
i just recently bought a A4 with the radio in "safe" mode. i've searched online for a couple of days and found some people talking about a sticker in the trunk by the spare tire. i have the maintenance guide, with the same information on the front, inside page. Line 1 is the VIN #, line 2 is the type/engine output/month and yr..., line 3 is the engine code, line 4 is the paint #, and line 5 is optional equipment. i tried the 4 digit numbers on the the bottom of line 5 (optional equipment), but still no luck unlocking from "safe" mode. if anyone knows where i can look for the code, i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance for all the help
I think that code is programmed in by the original owner, and somewhere in the paperwork, if the owner was vigilant, they may have written it down in an appropriate location...

If it were me I'd try 2 things:

1) unhook the battery, then reconnect, then see if it still come up in safe mode.

2) call a dealer/shop and ask them...I have to imagine there is a simple override.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM
4th Gear

Do the battery disconnect like slackjaw said. That sometimes works if ur lucky. If not track down the orgianal owner and see if they have the code

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Post thanks

thanks for the help, but looking for someone who might know where to look on the sticker. like i posted b4, i've read other audi owners whose talked about finding a sticker w/ possible 4 digit code to unlock the radio in "safe" mode.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

what year did you say yours was? Mine's '06, and the stereo security code is(was) user programmed...i.e. I programmed it when I got the car home.

Now, unless I wrote it on the sticker, or in the book, you won't find that code on my car. (and you won't )

Just to clarify, are you perhaps looking for the Satellite Radio serial number so that you can activate Satellite??? That can be found on a sticker. just curious.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Post couldn't afford newer

i wasn't able to afford a '02 or newer. i bought another '98, but 2.8 this time instead of the 1.8. all i know from looking for the solution on google, some guys w/ the older model said something about a sticker in the trunk, unfortunately i don't want to spend too much money getting it to work, cuz when i get the cash, i want a aftermarket, CD/DVD player, just want the radio til then.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by crosbyeighty7
i wasn't able to afford a '02 or newer. i bought another '98, but 2.8 this time instead of the 1.8. all i know from looking for the solution on google, some guys w/ the older model said something about a sticker in the trunk, unfortunately i don't want to spend too much money getting it to work, cuz when i get the cash, i want a aftermarket, CD/DVD player, just want the radio til then.
ah ha, I see I didn't realize the age disparity there...sorry I couldn't be more help, and good luck

Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 AM

Hi everybody.
Does anybody know what is the next step if you screw the stereo code twise and then it is blocked. Is there anything I can do to unlock the stereo with right code?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 AM
1st Gear
Default I hour reset

Yes if you put in code wrong twice you have to wait about an hour. From everything I found you have to leave key in ignition in on position so radio will reset. Also if you call AUDI USA with your vin# and radio serial number (which is on the side of your radio if you pull it out) they will give you the code for free unlike the dealer which will try and charge you. You can get the key to remove the radio from walmart in there car stereo section. The kit for vw/audi cost me like $8.