Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Leather car seat repair....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Leather car seat repair....

I recently purchased a used 06 2.0T premium edition and on the drivers side seat there is a tear just to the left of the seat. It's not directly where my butt sits, but just to the side of it. It looks like it was torn and repaired, but doesn't look like a pro had done it.

What I'd like to know is if this is worth repairing professionally? I found a leather expert in my city who's been doing it for over 30 years. The cost is around 125-200 depending on the damage. My only real issue is wether this is worth fixing since this rip is in a high traffic area of the seat?

Here's a link to some before and after pics from the professional I'm considering...

http://www.cuirvinyl.com/Avant_apres.htm

Last edited by everfresh; 08-05-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Added
Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM

I have a company that does the same work as the guy you've contacted. It looks like he knows what he's doing. That said--depending on where the damaged area is and the severity of the damage--will determine how durable a repair will be.

Typically Audi's tend to develop multiple cracks on the bottom cushion driver seat--left bolster--this is where your left thigh would be resting. If this is what you are talking about--it looks like your guy can handle this.

Other option would be to check with an automotive upholstery shop and see how much it would cost to replace only that 1 panel with a new panel. This would give you a new piece of vinyl (that part of the seat is not leather), but the grain may not match the rest of the seat and it's possible the color may be slightly off. But, it will be new and more durable in the long run than a repair.
How long does this guy warranty his repairs? We warranty ours for as long as you own the car. But, I would look for at least a year.

Last thing, if you get a new piece inserted, and the color is slightly off-but bothers you. You can have your guy dye it to match the rest of the seat. We do this type of stuff all the time for upholstery shops when they insert panels that don't quite match. A dye job like this should last for years.
Hope this helps you.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

The outside bolsters on both my front seats show rips from riders sliding over them. I have taken to planting my butt in the center of the seat and then swiveling, and the damage has not gotten worse. I was quoted $150-175 by a local auto upholstery shop to replace the one panel on the seat. I am debating it, but with two bolsters needing the work I cannot justify the expense right now. I mean, the car is in great shape but does have 176k on it and I just spent that much to tint the windows, which has a higher "owner satisfaction" payback.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

With this kind of situation, a good audi repair kit or tool, or maybe a repair store or shop would be the perfect fit here. By reading up all the needed infos here, you would be able to really have something good in common and it does give you ideas on what to do with such thing. I hope that this thread would help a lot of people, as well as it helps me.

Last edited by armandjones82; 03-05-2011 at 01:07 AM.