Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

need help with scratched window

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default need help with scratched window

as i left work today i thought i saw some bird poo on my car but when i got closer i found that some chode threw a rock at my driver side window and left some mean scratches. kinda pissed and kinda relieved at the same time cuz no broken or shaddered window...so i have this mean scratch now. anyway of removing it without having to go to some glass place to repair it. i know if i do they heat up the glass and my windows are tinted and i dont want that to mess up too. i searched the forums and all i found was to use rain-something...which i think wont do the job. and its kind of a mean scratch for toothpaste. so i was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and wondering what did you do? i just got this audi a4 too...i really dont want to already put money into it where i shouldnt have to....man i hate so cal with haters living in my area. so if anyone have any ideas...it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: need help with scratched window

Polishing Glass[/i]:[/b][/b][/i][/b]
Once the glass surface has been washed and cleaned (detailers clay) any minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (Autoglym Car Class Polish or DP High Performance Glass Restorer) This thick citrus-based cream safely pulls contaminants out of the glass, including alkaline mineral deposits, and then smoothes out etched glass (http://www.autogeek.org)

Be aware the some imperfections cannot be removed and you may have to replace it. If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (0 .004 –inch deep) you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.

A replacement windscreen can sometimes be claimed on an insurance policy without loss of no-claim bonus, dependant upon coverage (check first with insurance company).Some windscreen ‘glass’ is actually a plastic resin and will scratch easily, consult your dealer to find out what material was used for the OEM windshield.
[/b]
Methodology [/b](b):
Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces (also see note 1)
Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)
Apply a quarter (coin) size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polishâ„¢ or Iz Einzette Glas Polish to a damp cutting / polishing foam pad (LC Orange or White) attached to a Porter Cable HS rotary polisher set at speed 1200 rpm.
Heat caused by abrasive polishing can soften and damage glass; foam pad and product used must minimize heat build-up. Since glass is a poor heat conductor any friction heat built up from polishing must be kept to a minimum by using sufficient product and regular misting of both the polishing pad and glass surface with water.
Apply to half of the surface / windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.
Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.
Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.
Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.
If the glass has PPG Industries Optech clear coating a more aggressive polish may be required
[ul][/ul]Alternative products / methods: a) [/b]Apply Zaino Z-12 with a damp cotton cloth to cool glass, apply to small sections at a time and allow to completely dry, buffing with a clean dry cotton towel. If there is any smearing or residue left just use Stoner’s Invisible Glass or any good quality glass cleaner to remove excess residue.
b) [/b]Janvil Scratch Remover (JV-326 / Glass Renew JV-325) - http://www.janvil.com/glass_restore.htm
c) [/b]Glass Technology Inc - [/b]http://www.gtglass.com/scratchremoval.htm[/b]

Alternative pads-[/i][/b] these 4-inch ‘Metal Polishing Pads’ are made of course, 600 grit nylon (Scotchbrite®) and are designed for hard / rough surfaces like aluminium diamond plate, pitted aluminium, chrome, and glass. http://topoftheline.com