Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

New Black Car, Need Tips Badly

Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default New Black Car, Need Tips Badly

I just recently got my black SLine A4 and I am in love with it however the warnings were correct: black cars, like this one are a PITA to keep even half-way clean. I have another problem now: this is the first car I have had living in a downtown area basically meaning I have a garage but no driveway with hose access to wash my car. All of my friends also live in apartments so no luck there. I have found a DIY car wash place with the high-pressure hoses that I have been washing it at but haven't been able to clean it nearly as well as when I used to wash my old car in my parent's driveway with bucket and sponge. Could someone recommend a good method for washing the car? Since the soap and stuff is in the spray I don't have any special soap and I have microfiber towels, terry cloth towels, detailer towels and polishing cloths. I also haven't waxed it yet, just some quick spray and wipe off stuff although I realized that the towels I was using at the time were terrible for that purpose and went out and bought the aforementioned ones but have yet to use them.

So, a little long-winded but could someone recommend a good method and also a good waxing method for when I have time to do that (next weekend maybe)?

TIA
-g

Old 09-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Default RE: New Black Car, Need Tips Badly

Zaino Car Polish

I have been using since 1999. On a black car with many applications it looks like a mirror.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
LME
1st Gear

I've washed my black A4 several times at the local car wash. Mine is very well lit so I just go a bit later at night; no one bugs me then.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

yup, same here...
and i top mine with a carunba for extra protection-
and dust it periodically (do not rub the car, gently use the duster on the car), then use a detailers spray (i like ones that contain carnubas).
in all processes, make sure that always go front to back, as the air flows over the car (to minimize swirls).
finally, my car stays covered most of the time (and its usually in a garage!)-
this minimizes swirls, keeps the car looking freshly detailed, and lets the black shine!!

ORIGINAL: goccia

Zaino Car Polish

I have been using since 1999. On a black car with many applications it looks like a mirror.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the troubles of keeping a black car nice! When there clean, they look awesome,
when dirty, just look like crap!

The car wash place is going to strip everything off the car, and will put in swirl marks.

I suggest you find a local Auto Detailer, & have them hand wash the car. Or have them
do a full detail, and you just do the maintaince after. STAY away from the auto car wash!
They have very harsh chemicals that remove all the protection on your paint! They also use
silicones, that look good that day, then make the car look like crap the day after, and make the
paint feel rough!

If you take your finger & run it along the paint, it should feel smooth & glossy to the touch, if not, you have
no protection on there, & might even have containments in the paint.

Since it's black you will need a way of removing the swirl marks.
While Zino is great at shine, they have nothing to remove swirl marks.
& IMHO, the stuff is a bit of a PITA to mix & put on. If you don't remove the
swirl marks, Zino, will bring them out even more.

I would suggest if you want to DIY you get this kit.
http://properautocare.com/reshkit.html
menzerna, is the best stuff I have ever used! Easy on easy off, last a long time.
See my pic poster of pic of my 05 EVO after some Mens on it.

You can wash your car on the street, it will not be easy, but you can do it.
Get a couple of buckets, and soap one area at a time, then use the other buckets to
rinse it down.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM

The best advice would be to take it to your dealer and trade for anything but a black car.

Seriously though I just bought a black A4 and I also happen to work at a dealership detailing cars. I would say wash it really well and then hand wax it once a month. Then get a unlimited month pass at a touch free car wash. Swing through the wash two or three times a week and keep it looking good. It is important to hand wash and wax the car once a month though as car washes definitely aren't perfect and a good coat of wax will help the car wash clean your car.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:24 AM

clay bar the car, and follow with a good coat of wax for the ultimate in smoothness

Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Default Here's what you need...

Member TOGWT covered this in a different thread, and hit all the major points for getting a really great finish. Go here for the write-up:

https://www.audiforums.com/m.asp?m=4...page=1&key