Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

remove the swirls from your black paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 10:42 PM
1st Gear
Default remove the swirls from your black paint

just thought i would share a secert in removing swirls in black paint the was passed on to me.

our "master detailer" at the dealership turned me on the some stuff called Ardex Seal B

[IMG]local://upfiles/5206/C2A6DFEDD13146B0A9B1F6C25B5D4F8A.jpg[/IMG]

it does a beautiful job of making those pesky swirlys go away. use it with a foam pad on a high speed buffer.
the great part is this stuff stays wet under the buffer head for a long time, unlike other polish that drys before your done working
over a area.

i am not sure where you might be able to find this stuff in your area but i seems to be very popular with high end body shops.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: remove the swirls from your black paint

When the product dries, that is when it is doing the cutting... when its wet, its just spreading around the surface. You want it to dry, as you cut... thats how it works.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

Do you have a source where one could buy this stuff? my 99 has lots of swirls that I need to get rid of...

Thnxs..

Old 05-11-2005, 05:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

When the product dries, that is when it is doing the cutting... when its wet, its just spreading around the surface. You want it to dry, as you cut... thats how it works.
Who states this? Buffing, safe buffing anyway, needs a moisture barrier between the paint and the pad. If the product dries out it is not cutting but rather it has "flashed" off. Ideally you want a polish to stay wet, thus you can work it longer at lower speeds which in turn results in less swirls and cooler buffing temperatures which again results in less chance to burn the paint. A polish that dries just causes abrasive grit to cake the pad up causing swirls and terrible dust which gets everywhere.

Also, is this product removing swirls or filling them? Lastly are they buffer swirls or marring that you are seeking to get rid of? Buffer swirls are micro-scratches caused by a high speed rotary, a coarse pad and aggressive product. They take on the look of a 3D hologram within the paint, as if it is a flowing ribbon.

Marring or halo-scratches on the other hand are introduced into your paint from washing and drying. They are tiny, very fine scratches that take on a circular appearance as they catch the sunlight.

Knowing what you have helps in knowing how to correct, not hide, the paint problem.

Anthony