Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Paint Swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Paint Swirls?

Ok guys i really never noticed it before but when the sun shines on the right angle theres like swirls in the paint but its only on certain angles. Does anyone no what this could be and how to get rid of this problem. Its only on certain spots of the car.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also behind the left passenger seat there seems to be a water mark on the pillarwhenever theres heavy rain. i mean i can take a dampcloth and it come right out but it anoys the heck out of me. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem. Thanks again

Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Paint Swirls?

They need to be polished to remove them, or use a wax with a lot of fillers.

Really you need a rotary polisher & some good polish to totally remove them. The down side is they will come back over time.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

If the swirls are indeed limited to a few spots, you could try Meguiar's Scratch-X and a lot of elbow grease. Wash and clay bar the entire car first, then work the spots. Follow with a good cleaner wax or cleaner, polish, andwax.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:26 PM
zds
1st Gear

invest into a glaze to cover them up, it can applyed by hand so no need for a buffer, it will just need to be done every other month or so. (your going to want to put a wax/sealent over it)

Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

They need to be polished to remove them, or use a wax with a lot of fillers.

Really you need a rotary polisher & some good polish to totally remove them. The down side is they will come back over time.
100% agreed with this Gentleman. I tried the similar procedure to remove swirls on my car, but they did came back after couple of months.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

i detailed cars in high school and college, and still do my own cars, so about 10 years + doing it total.. this is what ive learned....

1. get your car buffed by a profesional, that uses foam pads, not wool.
2. Make sure you request a new pad used on your car, stay there to actually see him open one and use it on your car. and if your paint is in ok condition, make sure he only glaze's it, no compound on it. I rarely ever used compound, but most places want to dick you over w/that to charge you their "3-step" process

3. wax it at least twice a month with a nice liquid car wax
4. buy a nice syntheticchamois... cut it in half. use one half to washyour car(yes, soap and water) and the other half to dry it.I had a black trans/am that I bought new... when i traded it the dealer could not beleive that the car was NEVER buffed. the chamois is so smooth, that it leaves few if any marks on the paint. of course this car was my baby and never saw much more than garage dust on it.
but theses chamois are great to wash with... im sure someone will say that they strip the wax off, but i rather have waxed stripped of, than swirls or scracthes on my paint.

The Chamois for washing is my long kept secret, just keep it clean... i recomend it to anyone who washes their own car... especialy if its a dark colored car.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ericgl

If the swirls are indeed limited to a few spots, you could try Meguiar's Scratch-X and a lot of elbow grease. Wash and clay bar the entire car first, then work the spots. Follow with a good cleaner wax or cleaner, polish, andwax.

I agree with the clay bar, make sure its new and clean... you can use it a couple of times, but more than that you might as well use sandpaper... dont ask how i know

Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

I had a black Truck once that had swirls BAD! I took it to a paint and body shop and the did some sort of Swirl seal on the truck and it looked great and I never seen the swirls after that and I did not have to wax it or do anything to maintain it....